• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are house bunnies very destructive?

bunnyhopper

Mama Doe
Do they try to trash the place?
I imagine any wooden furniture would be a prime target, but I am interested to know how much damage a house bunny is likely to do, before I try to convince OH a house bunny would be a good idea!

Any advice?

So far my housebunnies have destroyed: curtains, chairs, skirting boards, several books, countless magazines, several phones (wire chewed), wall paper (and plaster). It's mostly my female that does the damage and thankfully she has slowed down with age (but only a little bit). Good luck! (You will need it).:)

My house bunny has chewed my utility door to get it open. However, at the moment when free range doesn't seem too destructive apart from cables. She chewed through my laptop cable and telephone cable, but has not bothered with the furniture. :)

YES!!!

Strawberry has eaten door frames, fire surrounds, carpet, wooden furniture, sofas, books, papers just to name a few. You will also have to get used to having hay EVERYWHERE!

My two indoor buns have chewed holes in walls, torn wallpaper, chewed through wires, bitten a hole in the sofa, taken chunks out of the wooden fire surround and made a hole in a beancube - all of these things were due to me/hubby not watching them properly so could've been prevented, but with house buns you've got to expect something to get damaged! :lol:

Oh WOW! Amazing piece of fillm. :shock:

I now get it.
If you want a rabbit to live with you.... You should move into the hutch with them...

or not be house proud :p i have towels pinned to all my walls to stop the wallpaper getting chewed.. but the furniture im not really fussed so they chew away :shock:

Philly never touches wooden furniture *looksroundincaseshesdoingitnow* but she has a fascination with any thing electrical. I dint mind the book eating, in fact I actively encourage it! my books come from the charity shop and few nibbled corners dont bother me much :mrgreen: i do object a little bit to the little darling ignoring her vast array of expensive toys and ripping up the carpet though :censored:

However the main thing that bothers me is the wires. everytime i think the place is bunny prooed Philly goes on a misson to show me its not! An excellent case in point is my £50 headphones, safely wrapped up and hidden in my hand bag. Now I do accept some of the blame here :roll: I placed it on the floor next to me. Philly binkyed over and stuck her head in, I clapped and she binkyed away. Cue the next day when I put my ipod on and i only get sound in one ear :censored: Never mind the day when she got the internet cable and the modem :roll:

lesson learnt! NOTHING of any value that resmbles a wire goes anywhere near where Philly foo can get it :love:

You need to accept that rabits by their very nature are destructive, bunny proof EVERYTHING even if you think they wont be bothered! and never take your eyes off them for a second!

I now get it.
If you want a rabbit to live with you.... You should move into the hutch with them...

:lol::lol::lol: Seriously though, the advantages of inviting bunnies in the house, such as all the fun of watching them, and the peace of mind that they are not in danger of being eaten by foxes or killed by a human, far outweigh the damage they do.

My boy is very good....which im now scared to say incase he turns nasty!
In the past he has chewed phone cables, laptop charger, coffee table, phone, remote control.
He has mellowed now, and as long as he has toys he doesnt chew the furniture, he does lick the metal legs of the coffee table tho'

The only thing Lily has ever ruined is a wire on an xbox headset..which I didnt mind :lol::lol: ;)

She also chewed a wicker storage box a few months ago but thats it. She must be really good :shock: She just sits on her little pink mat and watches me in the kitchen all the time...shes more of a getting under your feet and following your every move bun :lol:

When Sadie was inside she was a pain :lol: she chewed my ghd's up and used to dig at the carpet, shes a lot happier outside!

I think it depends on the bun :) xx

My pair both like the same stuff. They chew the corners of doors, and the corners on moldings and walls. Milo has tried to bite my mattress that sits on the floor, but isn't too dedicated. The wooden furniture has done fine so far. Just my poor walls. :cry:

I have to fix it all up before we move out of this apartment. Currently, we don't have to pay any sort of pet deposit for bunnies, as they aren't considered a threat to the office. :roll: I'd prefer they keep that mentality, so I'm fixing it up before I leave.

You can put cardboard on corners for them to chew instead of leaving the molding bare. I find Apple Bitter and stuff doesn't work at all to deter them. Chewing sticks also helps!

Good luck, they're monsters! :lol:

Oh god yes!
Between them my animals have caused a good few hundred quids worth of damage :roll:
The rabbits have;
Partly destroyed an xbox controller
Pulled up the carpet
Chewed through the charger for my DS
Chewed through the wire for a fan
Ripped down posters
Chewed holes in a few quilt covers, sheets and pillow cases
Totally demolished another sheet
Chewed my table
Destroyed 2 bags
A pair of shoes :cry:
God knows how many books
Any pens/pencils/bobbles/hair grips that touch the floor
Towels
College work

And probably more :roll:

Even when you think your room is rabbit proof, they will do their best to find something :shock:

Ahem.... are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin....

2 laptop cables
6 phone chargers
2 landline phone cables
4 duvet covers
1 bed runner
2 carpets
4 towels
6 shoes (all odd)
3 handbags
3 door frames
1 bedside cabinet
2 chests of drawers
2 tv aerials
4 lamps
5 rugs
1 leather sofa
1 fabric sofa
2 table legs
4 chair legs
8 books
1 housing deeds pack
1 oak floor
5 skirting boards
1 camera case
4 house plants
2 candles (yes candles!)
2 pairs or floor length curtains
2 cd players

..... I could be here all night :shock::lol::lol:

This looks fun!

2 speaker cables
1 laptop cable
1 pair of expensive dress pants
1 knit blouse
1 skirt (purchased on Sunday :censored:)
2 computer mice
1 wicker laundry basket
1 wicker end table
1 phone charger

Hey, that wasn't very fun. :cry: Mean bunnies!

Deej is a really good boy, but as with practically all house buns he has chewed a few cables when he's been able to get at them! But with them all out the way, he rarely chews on anything he's not meant too- he does have a penchant for rubber things though, so we have lost a few buttons on our remote controls when we've forgotten to put them away!

I would definitely say he is not a destructive bunny.

We've had four buns indoors and the only damage has been pee stains, at first when the two girlies were unspayed and unlittertrained and since from joe who's an expert at spraying his far/high/wide...everywhere! Since he's been in the garage (where the brick walls could take a battering) he's decided to become a perfect litter trained rabbit (the :censored::censored: ) lol.

No wall/skirtying board/furniture damage to report from the buns and they had a 4 piece cream collection to attempt! :shock:

Dylan has only ever chewed things that have been accidentally left out, he chewed my phone charger into 3 bits last week and he has had a few buttons of the remote control. I have a super tidy house because of Dylan, i don't leave anything lying around that he might take a fancy to. He does like to dig my carpet, but as soon as catch him i tell him off, he doesn't damage it though. If you rabbit proof everything, house bunnies are a lot of fun :D. In my opinion, having Dylan is no more destructive than having a cat.
Gud luck :wave:

Back