• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why would a rabbit stop drinking?

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
Sorry for separate thread to the main Daisy one, but hoped more people might see it.

Any ideas why a rabbit would refuse water but still eat hay, veg, herbs etc?

She won't take cool herbal tea or water with apple juice either.

She hasn't got rabies has she :shock::lol: - sorry not funny but it's laugh or cry at the moment!

could she perhaps have sore teeth?! i only say this because when Lily was drinkin a lot it turned out her teeth were giving her abit of jip! x

I know that if a rabbit is eating a lot of veggies, they will drink less water, as they're getting their water elsewhere. But definitely not stopping entirely.

I would try and monitor exactly how much water Daisy is drinking. Maybe pour in a certain amount, then measure it again when you change it daily. I would just want to see how much water is being taken in.

I know there are some diseases where water intake is greatly reduced, but I'm not sure. Someone should come along with more knowledge on this. :)

(As a side note, I forgot to change my rabbit's water once, and he started drinking out of the base of my Christmas tree! :shock: Just might be good to make sure that Daisy isn't getting water somewhere else. They are rather sneaky...:lol:)

is she eating a lot of veg? i would say the more veg they have the less water they need to drink maybe?

Why did you give your bun sub-Q fluid? As it takes about 12 hr. for sub Q to pass thru, depends on how much you gave.

You should let your bun drink water from bowl instead of giving sub-Q fluid.

Well I would let her drink from a bowl (she always has a bowl and not a bottle) but she hasn't drank since Tuesday morning.

The vet made the decision to give sub cutaneous fluids yesterday as she was severely dehydrated. I think it was the best decision as she's doing so much better today, whereas yesterday she looked truly dreadful.

Poor mite :( If the vet says she is severely dehydrated she could probably do with IV fluids rather than subq as they work better/quicker getting the liquid to where it needs to be. Just keep an eye on her tummy as if she is dehydrated, her intestines and the food inside her gut could become dehydrated too... I hope she starts drinking soon!

Have you tried avipro in her bottle/bowl, JacksJane suggeted this to me for my Toshi bun who wasn't drinking. I also tried pineapple, blackcurrant, and even pellets mushed in water to get extra fluids in there... but I would say IV is the best option to get her back to normal hydration.

:wave: Sending drinky drinky sip sip vibes x x x

Have you tried avipro in her bottle/bowl, JacksJane suggeted this to me for my Toshi bun who wasn't drinking. I also tried pineapple, blackcurrant, and even pellets mushed in water to get extra fluids in there... but I would say IV is the best option to get her back to normal hydration.

:wave: Sending drinky drinky sip sip vibes x x x

I haven't tried avipro, I'll try and get hold of some for her. She's absolutely determined that liquid is the enemy at the moment :roll: But, she's had some liquids in her syringe food and from veg, and at her vet visit this morning they were happy she was much less dehydrated ... so fingers crossed the urge to drink again kicks in soon!

Back