• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Constant free range house buns...

ChloeLawless

Mama Doe
I know many of you have buns that are always freerange in your homes, and I wondered how you get on?

At the moment, Lily has a dog crate and is free range while I am home..she is fairly well behaved and her litter training has come on really well so I am now considering leaving her free to roam during the night and when I'm at work, in the kitchen only.

My main question is what kind of a "Base camp" do your permanant free range bunnies have? I dont have a massive amount of room so was considering getting her something like a large litter tray which I will keep topped up full of hay and then she'll have her usual water bowl and food bowl on a mat.

I've also thought about the wooden shelters, you know the ones that can also be used for chickens...full of hay and just placed up a quiet corner for her.

I feel quite confident she'll behave....and theres no wires or dangers in the kitchen on her level she could hurt herself with..I just need some friendly advice and experiences on how others get on :)

Thank you :)

Chloe and Lilykins ;) x

Awwwh :love:

Ronnie had a dog crate, with a litter tray and water bottle/food in. Then he had a litter tray in our bedroom. He was fine :love: Just use to laze around on our bed :roll: xXx

When Gwen was free ranging we kept the dog crate as it gave me the option to shut her in so to speak if I needed to. Like for instance when I was cleaning and mopping the floor or when my little boy had particularly noisy friends round!

Last edited:
i think a crate will still be the best bet then! i may just downgrade it as it is quite large for just her, shes not very big :lol: the OH is bagering me about wanting a kitchen table so i think im going to get a crate to fit under the actual table..when and if he gets his own way anyway :lol:
Lily comes first...much to his dismay!

It worked really well for us and the other plus point was when we went away we just took the crate round to mum's as they are so easy to transport. Great idea to have it under the table too as it will be lovely and quiet if she wants some time out!!

My set-up is:

Eddison: Bathroom nook! There is a deeply recessed shelving unit in our bathroom, so I cleared out the bottom shelf and made it his. I put a towel on the floor, so he has some traction, and I set up his litter pan in the back, and his food bowl, water bowl, and veggie bowl along the side. He has toys strewn about the apartment, but most in the bathroom. (Painful to step on when tired at night and stumbling into the bathroom :lol:)

Milo: Cube Condo! I built him a little condo in the living room with multiple levels so the buns can access our bed. (Studio flat, tiny living space!) I just leave the door open all the time, and Milo does as he pleases.

I hope to move them both to a new condo when we upgrade to a one bedroom apartment. But it works well for now!

Good luck! :)

Philly was supposed to be free range but as she has turned into a one rabbit wave of distruction thats a no go! :? Shes out from 6pm till 11pm and most of the day on a weekend, but with no one here, depsite my best rabbit proofing she cannot be out alone. This is a rented flat and she has already destroyed 2 carpets! Depsite the biggest array of toys knon to man or rabbit! lol

I'm hoping once shes spayed in a couple of months time she can have a husbun and more time free ranging, I hate putting her back in the cage, even though the cage is the biggest i could find and shes still pretty teeny :(

Alyssa has her crate, currently she freeranges alot of the time, however we're gradually increasing as we don't ever want to shut her in!

She gets on ok, shes a wire chewer so those are out of reach however apart from the odd poop here and there, shes very tidy.

shes also funny as she often flops infront of the TV!:love:

My bun Marley was free range, once his plums were off he was very toilet trained. He didn't have a cage, but had a blanket box under the bed where he slept and littertrays full of hay (one in bedroom and one in the living room). He had favourite parts of the flat to sleep in at certain times of the day-you could almost tell the time from where he was lying down! He wasn't a destructive bun though so we were very lucky. We closed the bedroom door at night and when we left the flat as I'm a bit of a worrier and there was no mischief he could get up to there.

I am bonding Bella with Tashy at the mo and they are in a cage in the living room. I am in all day at the minute as I am supposed to be revising for exams and they have been running about the living room and kitchen all day. I am working my way up to having them completely free range.

mine have their own room :lol: there is a small indoor cage that is used as a litter tray, a few more litter trays scattered around and toys. They have a homemade sleeping/jumping platform covered in a rush matting & carboard boxes. I use baby gates to keep them in when we are not there & one on the stairs to stop them going up.

Back