• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single house bunnys - is it cruel?

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Since moving Ronnie and Lola down the shed, our house is bare :( Its just not the same.

I really want a conti giant for the house, but would it be cruel to keep a single house bunny? My heart is telling me its not, but my head is telling me it is. I also feel like im replacing Ronnie :? :(

xXx

i dont think its cruel hun, if you spend a lot of time with the bun :love::love: what they dont know they cant miss :D

but i dont think i would keep a single bunny again myself because loved up bunnies makes my heart melt and i like having two :D:D

i dont think its cruel hun, if you spend a lot of time with the bun :love::love: what they dont know they cant miss :D

but i dont think i would keep a single bunny again myself because loved up bunnies makes my heart melt and i like having two :D:D

Im not here all day :( So i guess it is quite cruel. Even though Ronnie and Lola were single indoors, they still interacted through mesh.

Thats the thing i guess, seeing them bonded is lovely, but i really dont have enough room indoors for 2 big buns, and i dont want small uns :lol:

I think its better to have two bunnies- but then it depends on their personallity and as long as they get enough time with you they should be fine.

It is something I would like to do at some point in the future.

I agree with Jane, I would not let any bun of ours go alone, they really do need other buns :(

Could you have one giant and a little friend? mis-match sizewise works quite well most of the time i think. i agree that he/she would probably be lonely without a friend when you are out all day.

I have Bella in the house on her own.

i wouldn't say it's cruel, i know it is better to have them in pairs, but i think sometimes it works out okay. Bella gets spoilt rotten, and there is someone in the house probably 80% of the time.

i constantly toy with the idea of getting her a husbun, but always decide against it, as she has got so used to her cushdy lifestyle of sleeping on the bed and being the centre of attention.:love::lol:

i suppose she has never known much different as before we had her she was a baby making machine for a breeder :(

This makes me feel rather guilty as I have Lily on her own indoors after a failed bond. (Paddy is now happily married to Sadie and they live in a lovely shed together)

I have considered getting her a more well suited friend, but what worries me most is the fact that Lily spends a lot of time in the vets with her dentals and occasional gut problems and I would feel even worse if I was unable to take her and her friend to the vets every single time, which seems likley considering she has a lot of GA's etc. So I'd then worry about a bond being constantly strained as I know how delicate they are.

She appears happy and she is free ranging all the time apart from during the night and I plan to shortly have her free ranging constantly once the kitchen is bunny proofed :lol:

So yeah, I would love to get her a companion as I do feel guilty about it, but I dont know how well it would work... :(

Dont get excited guys... i cant spill its not 'confirmed' lol

Chloe, dont feel guilty hun. Lilykins is the most spoilt housebun ever!! xXx

Dont get excited guys... i cant spill its not 'confirmed' lol

Chloe, dont feel guilty hun. Lilykins is the most spoilt housebun ever!! xXx

:lol: thank you hun..

and.....I am on the egde of my seat to hear about this news...I WANT TO KNOWWWW! :lol: ;)

I have a single house bun and i work through the day.
I dont see the problem, yes in an ideal world he would have a friend, bit if you get one bun rather than none then surely thats helping one bun!
Also there are some buns that just dont like other buns.

Tinkerbell is a single houserabbit since she lost Simba a year ago.

She is costing me a fortune in vets bills for her ongoing teeth problems and we really can't afford to take on another rabbit. She seems happy enough and there is usually someone around during the day as company for her.

Personally I would say that having 2 (or more) would be the ideal solution. However, if you are having this dilemma then you obviously care so however many you get they would proabably be looked after much better than the majority of buns out there.

It's upto you how many you get but it may be worth trying to visit people who have singles and pairs alike to see the difference in them. I've never had a single just a pair then a trio so cannot judge.

Good luck with whatever you decide. He/she/they are lucky buns.:wave:

Back