• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Biscuit's Ill ...still not right :o( page 3

Biscuit Bunny

Alpha Buck
:cry:

She has had stasis about 4 times now the last time a month or so ago, which cleared with a warm pad, keeping her active and tummy massages.

Well this morning she didn't want to come out of her room, was hunched in her cardboard box and didn't want to eat anything. She has urinated though.

I had to go to work leaving with hubby.

Well he made apppointment with vets for 12.20 as she hadn't improved, I took half day and went with him.

They kept us waiting an hour :censored: at least they could have said that our vet had 6 more people to see before us instead of letting us stay in a waiting room with dogs and cats and a very stressed bunny, we could have sat with her in the car.

He could not find any signs of bloat or any other problems, took temp etc.

Gave her 3 injections, one pain killer and two to help stimulate the gut.

She has since eaten a few dandilions but nothing else.

He told us to feed her supreme science recovery (10 small meals a day) well what a joke have managed to get a tiny amount into her. I did say that she was easy to handle in the vets as she was so frightened.

We also have togive her zantac syrup twice a day and meloxidyl (like metacam once a day) we will attempt that in a mo.

She obviously hasn't had any sleep today, so now tired and still not eating :cry:

serious vibes please, going to be a long night ahead.

Last edited:
Lola was just like this.

The recovery she made was miraculous, and I do believe the syringe feeding saved her life so perservere with it (Lola hates it).
Big hugs, nose rubs and vibes for Biscuit! x x

Lola was just like this.

The recovery she made was miraculous, and I do believe the syringe feeding saved her life so perservere with it (Lola hates it).
Big hugs, nose rubs and vibes for Biscuit! x x

Thanks for this Cat, managed to get medicine in but not the force feed, does it need to be quite thick, think we made it too runny and finding the huge syringe difficult to use, giving her some peace and try again in a bit. xx

Thanks for this Cat, managed to get medicine in but not the force feed, does it need to be quite thick, think we made it too runny and finding the huge syringe difficult to use, giving her some peace and try again in a bit. xx

Lola hated it, and the mix blocked the end of the sryinge, it was a nightmare, and we had the bissest syringe possible.

Lucy fatty bun just scoffed it off the end of the syringe!

I made Lola some dandelion tea, just put some dandelions in hot water and let it cool, I dont know if it worked but I think it soothed her a bit.

Lots of vibes - its awful watching them aint it x x

To make it easier to suck up the syringe food, you could make the hole bigger in the syring by using the tip of a fork to widen it, or by using a pipette if you have one?

Huge vibes for your bun. I hope she gets better soon xxx

Sending loads of vibes, when Milo was like this last month, I managed to get him to lick it off a spoon, I also put warm water in a bowl for him, as well as syringing it into him.
Like Andrea said they can start to improve quickly once the meds kick in.

Hi Clare
Sorry I have only just seen this. I hope Biscuit is o.k

it is awful when it happens.

Sending lots of vibes for biscuit and don't forget I am only round the corner, so if you need anything, just let me know

Come on Biscuit - get well for mummy and daddy soon

xxxxx

Thank you everyone

Have had limited success with the force fed, ended up with it all over myself this morning instead of in bun.

Was a long night as checking her every two hours, she was eating everything I put in front of her and doing small poos at about 2.30am this morning so left the force fed over night, as it stresses her so and hubby was snoring in bed, so couldn't do on own, probably wrong decision.

Managed to get all medicines and some colic drops down her this morning, have boiled up dandillions as suggested by Cat :) Bought loads of herbs to temp her.

I may contact Jayne (Jessica rabbit) to see if she can hold bunny while hubby gets force fed in, if she is still not eating later, I am at work and really DONT want to be here :cry: She is back in the vets later tonight.

Thanks again everyone means a lot xx

How much hay is your bun eating? Is it 90% of her diet?

In case your bun is still outdoor, keep your bun indoor in a warm room, as he can't fight the cold at night and fight whatever health problem he has.

everything you need to know about GI stasis:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

dandillions is very exotic. I personally won't go for it. This is the food I use to force feed my buns in the past year:

Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

How much hay is your bun eating? Is it 90% of her diet?

In case your bun is still outdoor, keep your bun indoor in a warm room, as he can't fight the cold at night and fight whatever health problem he has.

everything you need to know about GI stasis:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

dandillions is very exotic. I personally won't go for it. This is the food I use to force feed my buns in the past year:

Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

Hi there yes it is 90% of her diet, she is a house bunny. Thanks for this I will send my hubby out for some blackberries.

Update from hubby that she is happily munching her veg and done some more poos although still small (probably because she hasn't eaten much) so fingers crossed. Will see how she is later to judge whether to make another stressful trip to the vets again tonight.

I've only just seen this. I'm sorry to hear that bunny is poorly and hopefully she continues to improve over the course of the day. :love: Sending lots of vibes. xxx

aww Poor Biscuit, hope she continues to improve and you can avoid that stressful trip to the vet xx

Back