• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question re: Dental Spurs

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
Good afternoon all :wave:

I have never had any ‘dental buns’ before so I’d like to rely on the knowledge and experience of the dental bun owners here if that’s alright :oops:

Can small dental spurs fix themselves with enough hay and roughage? Or once they start, are they on a downhill slippery slope that just gets worse? :?

Sora is going to the vets for one of her vaccinations next month and after finding small spurs during her recent bout of stasis my vet is wanting to use the oppertunity to check up on her teeth. I’ve been shovelling as much hay as I can into her in the vague hope that it will wear them down back to normal(-ish) and so when the vet checks up on them in 4 week’s time there might be some improvement.

Am I being too simplistic in my outlook, can small spurs wear down and fix themselves or is it something only a vet and a GA can resolve? :?

they can definitely improve due to an improved diet....Sorrel used to have dentals every two months but by cutting down pellets and increasing hay, she went to every five months. I don't think we'll get rid permantently though.

Apache had little spurs when he was found but (touch wood) has had no problems since then. He was found as a stray and the rescue suggested the spurs might have resulted from poor diet whilst roughing it.

so I would think it depends on the severity and cause.....maybe a bun with spurs caused by diet can improve, but I would expect that spurs caused by a congenital deformity of the teeth/jaw would be there for good.

I only have experience of two buns though so I'm no expert...best of luck for your little on anyway. :)

Depending on how much hay they eat and if their molars dont sit correctly they could improve! Skye my bunny who had 1 dental had slight spurs in January and they have now gone after a great hay diet :D

Fudge is my dental bunny and her dentals are further apart now she is eating more hay so yes they can improve:D

When we first got Winston I got him vet checked over straight away. My vet said he had spurs but because he was a rescue to just see how they got on and she would check in couple of weeks. As the better diet will hopefully wear them down.

He did get a dental few month later just to get them worn down but he hasnt had another since although vet checks often and said he may need dental in march time this year and when she looked again near march they were fine sooo even if you do need to get them done dont worry just up hay intake and hard chews and you prob wont need another!

Interesting, we'd only had her 4 weeks when the mini-spurs were discovered by the vet, she was in the rescue centre for a few months and before that she was a stray so godknows what diet she's been on in her life, probably just grass from people's gardens and fields :roll:

I'm pleased though that it's possible to reverse with continued hay chomping, thanks all for helping :wave: I've tried her with wood chews etc and she isn't really all that interested, but she totally demolished a willow ball earlier this week by chomping so I think I will get me a few more of those! :D

Im sorry for sounding thick, but what are spurs. I know Rabbits teeth grow constantly but what are spurs and how do i tell if Benjy has them, are they coloured, im sorry but i dont know, please excuse my ignorance

Im sorry for sounding thick, but what are spurs. I know Rabbits teeth grow constantly but what are spurs and how do i tell if Benjy has them, are they coloured, im sorry but i dont know, please excuse my ignorance

Spurs are small spikes that form on the molars of rabbits, they can cut the tounge, cheek and gums of rabbits causing alot of pain :(
The vet has a small microscope thing they insert into the mouth and can see spurs. Sometimes they vet has to put the rabbit under GA to have a better look and this way they can burr/file the spurs back.

There are a few things too look out for but anything unusal for your bunny should be checked by a vet.

With my bunnies theyve: Stopped eating, drooled on chin and paws, poos get smaller, increase in water intake, do this weird licky thing, sit hunched and grid teeth.

There are more symptoms but im not sure of them all just what my bunnies do :)

With my bunnies theyve: Stopped eating, drooled on chin and paws, poos get smaller, increase in water intake, do this weird licky thing, sit hunched and grid teeth.

This is what Sora’s been doing too, but strangely enough she didn’t do any of these (not even the small poos) before the stasis, it’s only been since the stasis that she’s been licking her lips and I’ve noticed a small number of slightly smaller poos in the litter tray. I wonder if stasis may have made her teeth worse from not eating much during the couple of days she was ill :?

That would be just typical, to have a bun with stasis not caused by spurs and then for the stasis to make the spurs worse and then cause more stasis *feels defeated*

Back