• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hugh has passed away...really struggling...

Chrisoldinho

Young Bun
Hi all,

New to the forums (what a first post....) and really just very down at the moment :(

On Friday night Hugh started feeling ill. I was actually out at the time but my wife said he was just looking a bit sheepish sat in a corner. Saturday morning he was just the same, quiet a bit subdued and no different. We thought he wasn't well but as it hadn't even been 24 hours since he started with the symptoms we agreed we'd wait and see how he went. We were also due to goto my brothers wedding which in hindsight probably coloured my vision a little, however as he really didn't look terrible (just quiet) we thought he might just have an upset stomach or something.

We left him with my Sister in law and her partner who said when we rang in the evening that he was just the same, quiet, subdued etc. They keep bunnies themselves and have looked after Hugh in the past. They said in the evening he was just sat under our table and when they came back he was in his hutch next to his water bowl, so they said night and closed the door.

Both me and Emma decided that the following morning we'd take him to the hospital if he hadn't picked up either way (vet would of been closed as it was a bank holiday weekend).

Anyway, Sunday morning comes around and we get the call no one wants to hear. We get back home to find him dead.

I am really struggling to come to terms with it all. I feel guilty for not spotting the signs earlier and prioritising my brothers wedding over getting him checked out, although at the time I just thought he was under the weather. I hate to think of him suffering and being alone in his final moments as we have done everything to make his life as good as possible, also he didn't look at peace which is really really upsetting and I can't get it out of my head. Even the vet said about a month ago when he went for his Mixi top up injection that he was the best kept rabbit she had seen :cry:

I am a bit softie at the best of times but things like this really get to me. Even worse if my wife, Emma. She adores rabbits and Hugh was like a small child to us, and with him being an indoor rabbit he was very much free to roam ( he was potty trained and had a large indoor cage ). He was always out as soon as we got up in a morning until we went to work and then again at 5.30pm until we went to bed. On a weekend he was out all day and night until we went to bed.

The house which we live in now feels really cold and not like a home, it's very quiet on a night and every where I go in the house reminds me of him.

Hugh chilling out at home during the day and laid down next to his favourite radiator a few months ago.

n1430088624_30082649_3919.jpg

n1430088624_30082646_2317.jpg

I want to get another rabbit, possibly 2. Definately rehomed / adopted ones as I know we could give them a good life. The trouble is I don't know if it's too soon. I don't want to replace him but then there are so many rabbits I know we could give a great home and life to...Emma thinks the same as me...

Anyway, i'd appreciate anyone's thoughts etc on this.

Thanks, Chris.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss.

I had a similar experience with my rabbit last April where I gave her 'a bit longer to see if she picked up' because she hated being pulled around at the vets. I'm not sure if she could have been saved or not but I feel very guilty for not realising how serious it was. Sadly I guess some of this comes with experience.

As for getting another/other bunnies. Only you can know when the timing is right. I reserved a rabbit (Rudy) about 6 weeks after losing Scrat as I was lost without her. Rudy came home about 8 weeks after I lost her and I felt for the first few days as if I'd made a terrible mistake. After a few days when we got used to each other and he came to me rather than running away from me I knew I'd done the best thing.

Oh and if I'd just gone out and bought a rabbit I would have felt it was an attempt to replace her but like you've said in your post you could offer a good life to a rabbit that needs it. I'm sure that makes all the difference when bringing new bunnies into your life.

Good luck, whatever you decided to do.

Oh so sorry you have lost such a gorgeous bunny :cry: :cry: They are such fragile creatures.

When you feel the time is right I definitely think you should consider getting a pair of rescue bunnies, there are so many who need homes and you seem like you could offer a great home.

Don't think of it as replacing Hugh, but honouring his memory by giving a great home to a pair of buns who would not otherwise know the love you can give them, as you did Hugh. When you are ready people here will be happy to help you find a rescue in your area.

Not sure if you have seen it but we have a section called Rainbow Bridge for memorials to bunnies who have passed, maybe you would like to post about Hugh there as well. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=35

So sorry for your loss.

I had a similar experience with my rabbit last April where I gave her 'a bit longer to see if she picked up' because she hated being pulled around at the vets. I'm not sure if she could have been saved or not but I feel very guilty for not realising how serious it was. Sadly I guess some of this comes with experience.

As for getting another/other bunnies. Only you can know when the timing is right. I reserved a rabbit (Rudy) about 6 weeks after losing Scrat as I was lost without her. Rudy came home about 8 weeks after I lost her and I felt for the first few days as if I'd made a terrible mistake. After a few days when we got used to each other and he came to me rather than running away from me I knew I'd done the best thing.

Oh and if I'd just gone out and bought a rabbit I would have felt it was an attempt to replace her but like you've said in your post you could offer a good life to a rabbit that needs it. I'm sure that makes all the difference when bringing new bunnies into your life.

Good luck, whatever you decided to do.

Thanks...We definately won't be buying a rabbit from a shop. not when there are so many rabbit's out there. sorry to hear about your rabbit but it's nice to know your getting along well with the new one :)

Oh so sorry you have lost such a gorgeous bunny :cry: :cry: They are such fragile creatures.

When you feel the time is right I definitely think you should consider getting a pair of rescue bunnies, there are so many who need homes and you seem like you could offer a great home.

Don't think of it as replacing Hugh, but honouring his memory by giving a great home to a pair of buns who would not otherwise know the love you can give them, as you did Hugh. When you are ready people here will be happy to help you find a rescue in your area.

Not sure if you have seen it but we have a section called Rainbow Bridge for memorials to bunnies who have passed, maybe you would like to post about Hugh there as well. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Thanks for your kind words.

We have never had 2 rabbits together before, can anyone share experiences of what is it like to have bonded rabbits?

:wave: Hello. Welcome to the forum & I'm very sorry about your bunny. Unfortunatly they are very good at hiding if they are seriously ill & all you may notice is that they seem a bit off colour so I'd always err on the side of caution & get them off to a vet just in case. However this is unfortunately only something you learn with experience unless you have somewhere like this or a very bunny savey friend/vet who can advise you. Don't feel guilty, you've come to the right place for good advice, sympathy & in the future laughs and probably a few more tears.

I would give yourself a few weeks to grieve and then if you do want to get another bunny start looking on the rehome site & see if there are any bunnies in need of a good home that catch your eye.

We have never had 2 rabbits together before, can anyone share experiences of what is it like to have bonded rabbits?

I have three bonded rabbits, it is an absolute joy to see them snuggle up together and groom each other :love: :love: they still love me and want lots of attention but I don't feel bad leaving then alone as I know they have each other. Just have a search though the pictures and stories section to see some photos of loved up buns :love:

Rescues often find pairs harder to rehome so it really is a great thing to do.

I have a bonded 4....which is very similar to a bonded two. Rabbits are group animals and do love to have company. They often sit together, groom each other and like to explore & get into trouble together as well. I did love having my single bun sooty but he was so much happier when I got honey to join him. They've been loved up ever since & it means he has someone to play with when I am at work.

I am so sorry that you have lost your little Hugh:cry:

It sounds like he had a brilliant life with you and I really wouldn't torture yourself about not knowing how ill he was, as bunnies hide these things so well. What might be an 'off day' could also be a serious illness.

I would go ahead and adopt a pair of buns. It sounds like you have a brilliant home to offer and I'm sure you'll like having two. I started with one, Pedro, and although he was very happy with us we decided to go ahead and get him a girlfriend and I'm so glad we did. He and Florence and inseparable (apart from when they have husband/wife tiffs) and are very funny to watch together. It's also nice to know that they're never alone when we're out, as they've always got each other:)

Thank you everyone for your kind words, Hugh may of only been 2 years old but I know he couldn't of been happier.

I was a little uncertain about getting a pair but now I am convinced this is the right way to go when the time is right.

In terms of rehoming / adoption, is anyone able to shed some light on the process for me.

Thank you. Chris.

I'm so sorry you have lost your much loved rabbit, you have brought a big lump to my throat reading your experience :(

You obviously have so much love to give to a rabbit that I would definitely consider having another one (or a pair) when you feel ready. You never replace a much loved pet, they are each so individual that it could never be considered as a replacement. Given time you will look back upon your memories with Hugh with pleasure and smile at the things he did. You just need to give yourself some time and space. Let us know how you get on. Take care :wave:

I'm so sorry you have lost your much loved rabbit, you have brought a big lump to my throat reading your experience :(

You obviously have so much love to give to a rabbit that I would definitely consider having another one (or a pair) when you feel ready. You never replace a much loved pet, they are each so individual that it could never be considered as a replacement. Given time you will look back upon your memories with Hugh with pleasure and smile at the things he did. You just need to give yourself some time and space. Let us know how you get on. Take care :wave:

Thank you for the kind words. It's the support i'm getting from friends, family and forums such as these that keep me going at the moment...:)

Hi,

I am so sorry that you have lost Hugh-he looks like such a gorgeous little bunny.

I have recently lost a bunny called Marley and I am devastated-he was such a special little man and my life is not the same without him. Don't beat yourself up too much for what happened-you weren't to know and as ecudc said it does come with experience to know to err on the side of caution and take them to a vet soon as you suspect something is up- they are prey animals and hide illnesses very well. I noticed Marley was not being his usual self and not eating and I had him at the vets an hour after I noticed this. Sadly, he didn't survive as the vets we took him too weren't rabbit savvy enough and didn't notice what was wrong with him and he didn't survive the dental surgery when I took him to a more clued up vet. I know exactly what you are going through as I keep replaying the events over and over and blaming myself for not taking him to the better vet sooner. It will get easier though.

I think adopting 2 rabbits when you are ready is a wonderful idea, it looks like you can offer them a very loving, happy home. I kept Marley as a single bun for a while-but he was much happier when he had his girlfriend Bella, he still gave me lots of affection and loved his nose rubs. If you have a look at the 'Rabbits in need' section on this site there will be rabbits advertised there. Otherwise you could contact your local rescue who will be very happy to help. They will probably want to do a homecheck to see where the rabbits will be living and to meet you and your wife. Whereabouts are you-some members will be able to recommend rescues close to you.

Welcome to the forum-there is lots of great advice on here and everyone understands what you and your wife are going through.

Have a look on here to see if there are any available rabbits/rescues in you area:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search_form.asp

most rescues will ask that you have a large hutch and run (usually a 6ft by 2 ft by 2ft hutch + a run as well but it very much depends on the rescue) or if you are indoors they would want to make certain that they had a large area to play in that was bunny proofed. Most will probaly do a home check which is just someone coming to your house, making sure everything is OK. Very informal. Most rescues will ask for a donation which can seem like a lot but if you take into account what you would pay in a pet shop, plus neutering, plus vaccination this is usually a lot less than you would end up paying yourself.

aw, im very sorry mate, but you gave him a wonderfull life, im sure hes happy where he is :p

as for another rabbit, its up to u. it might help take your mind off of Hugh, not that you want to forget him but, greiving.

so sorry for your loss, i had a similar experience last december when i lost my beloved lollybebunny during a routine dental. i kept thinking that if i'd taken him on a different day it wouldn't have happened and like you the house felt like a void.

this forum really, and i mean really helped, so many messages of love and support came from people i'd never met yet they all helped me get through the grief.

i was unsure weather to get another bun but stumbled on a little fella on the rescue section called 'bun jovi', i fell in love! he needed to be rehomed as a house bun as he suffers with snuffles.

you'll know when the time is right and i wish you all the support during this hard time.

emily and barnsley (formerly bunjovi) xx

So sorry you lost your little Hugh.

I agree that you should wait a couple of weeks to come to terms with his loss and then offer a home to a pair of rabbits in need of a forever home.

Lovely words!

Your bunny was adorable. When i got ym Lola and Lucy I had no idea about how fickle their digestive systems were and I didnt know the signs of what to look for.

This forum taught me what I had to look out for and thankfully I knew what to do when Lola has been ill, its a learning curve. My bunny Lola is the queen of sulking and its sometimes hard to tell the difference between sulking and being ill.

Having 2 bunnies is fabulous!

Thanks for all the replies. Really informative and helpful :D

We are based in Leeds in Yorkshire however we would be prepared to travel if it meant helping 2 Rabbits in need, providing the journey was not too stressful for the Rabbits of course.

chris.

Back