• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help advice for samples from bun that aint toileting?

winnies angel

Mama Doe
We have to get a wee sample for vet so last night i locked angel in hutch at 7pm (normal for her to wee this time) and she has been in untill now 10am with NO wee or pooing?

She has ate her dinner-brekkie and had bowl full of carrot juice (this was to help her wee through night) although the sample is for cycitis cant spell, im quite worried that she hasnt done anything what would people suggest if hse hasnt weed/pooped by lunch time should I ring vet?

Last edited:
I feel for you, we had to get a urine sample from our hamster once:lol: It actually proved easy in the end, we just took away all his litter, cleaned the cage and rinsed really well, then let him in and he weed in the corner where he always did, in with the syringe and in to the sterile pot - hey presto!

I presume you have provided her usual litter tray? Has she weed and pood somewhere unusual for her, in her bed or something? If there really is no wee or poo then I would call the vet as that is obviously unusual.

I have been reading a bit about Uti's recently and note that it said it is best to obtain a urine sample by sterile catheterisation as some nasties die when exposed to oxygen.

Its not so much the smaple that im worrying about as vet gave her the med anyway its just to check it is that now im worried as she aint done anything at all!
Yesterday I said to oh have you seen angel poo latley (difficult when got 2) and he siad she has to be loads of poop in potty etc but now im worried as she obv hasnt last night its gone 15 hours now with nowt. Surely she must need I even picked her up before kinda squeeing belly as i fought trying to get baytril in thinking well if she wees on me least shes weed

If shes an outdoor bunny maybe you could pop her in the kitchen for a bit, they usually like to wee and poo when they go somewhere different.

No shes an indoor bun who has free roam of house with her hubby. But obv i want her wee and not his so i had to lock her up last night which she wasnt hoppy about.

They go to vets every 2 weeks but lately angel has been underweight and vet said if she hasnt gained by yesterday blood tests would be needed however she had but she has been having little accidents on floor (well tidal waves) i mentioned it o vet and she felt tummy saying she may have cystitis so she needs sample to check but shell start treatment anyway incase its burning.

Oh right. Well I think I would call the vet then. If you are not desperate for the wee today then why not let her out and follow her round to see if she wee's, maybe she's holding it 'cos she's been shut in but it seems strange if she was leaving puddles before that she could hold it so long - I couldn't:lol:

I think being in a changed environment can upset them and they stop going toilet. I would let her out but just remove the litter from the usual tray and hope she gos in there :?

she has been let out from about 8am but although she has just downed more carrot juice and ate her greens and 2bowls of food she still aint done anything yet

just wanted to say thanks to you for helping me. Its good when your worried to have someone to talk to .
Rang vet who was going o ring me back but Angel must have heard vet and pooped right away so I told her to potty and she done a lil wee not big enough for sample but thank god shes passed something...
So as far as we know she went at least 18 hours without wee/poop prob longer

Back