• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Is Better?

stuart567

Young Bun
Hi there,just wondering which is beter for a rabbit's bedding.Meadow Hay bedding or Straw? I got my bun last Thursday and have used Meadow Hay bedding till now but am considering switching as i think straw may be warmer for the bun?

Which do you use?
Which do you think is warmer/better?

Thanks to anyone who replies,
Greatly appreciated :D

I use Meadow hay...timothy hay at the moment. I dont use straw because I also have 5 guinea pigs and straw can damage their eyes as its quite coarse and can poke them. Im not sure about Rabbits eyes if im honest, but I would think hay is more cozy for them to snuggle into

Not sure which is warmer to be honest, but straw has very little nutritional value if they eat it whereas the more hay you can get into your bunny's tummy the better :wave:

I keep mine indoors in winter now but when I used to keep them out all year round, none of them ever seemed cold with hay but you can always get a Snugglesafe or some vetbed to go underneath for extra warmth/insulation :)

I use hay as bedding as it's also food, so I don't have to spend money on straw with no nutritional value, and they have hay 24/7 so they can never run out. Mine are outdoors during winter, and they were fine with hay.

Back