• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Long Will It Take? :(

stuart567

Young Bun
Hi,i got my rabbit on Thursday from my local pet shop.It is 9 weeks old come this Thursday,so i have had it a week and yet when i lie down and let it come to me and i ignore it it seems to come over a bit more but when i go to aproach Joey,he seems to back-up into a corner and seems very scared.

Also when i try to place my rabbit in its hutch or set it down he seems to wriggle all over the place and it scares me a bit as i think i may drop him.Joey also seems to climb up to my shoulder a little but then gts scared and tries to jump away and im really worried one of these days i wont be able to stop him.

Any ideas/Suggestions to help him get used to me more or such.

All help is greatly appreciated :D

Shoulders seem to be the area of choice for scaredy bunnies, Sophie and Granite do this.

A week is not long, so don't worry.

Next time lie down on the floor, totally flat, when Joey comes up to you just let him investigate you. Get a book or mag and ignore him. Then start to do it with food, then sit up with the food etc.

A human can be VERY scary to a rabbit, esp as they are prey animals. Imagine being approached by something as big as a house!

Thanks for the very quick reply :D

Nice to know im not alone,i suppose time will help greatly as Joey will soon get to know im caring for him and not after him.

Any other help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

We got Bean in April 2008 and it took him until Dec 2008 to be completely confident with us. :) Now he is lovely and will sit on our feet whilst we watch TV amongst other things. Like bound onto our bed on a sunday morning if we haven't given him his breakfast at a proper time.

We also got Truffle in Feb 2009 and she was a rescue bun. She was very timid and ran everytime we approached. However, with some pineapple treats and some gentle training she is getting much better. She bolts occasionally but will now let us give her constant nose rubs - as long as its followed by a pineapple treaty! :lol::lol::lol:

Back