• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pairs into foursome?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I am hoping to bond my 2 pairs into a foursome, during my summer break. But I am thinking about the space. I know their current accomodation is big enough for a pair each, but if I join them together, just taking the end run panels out, would it be big enough?

Also, as they are currently in there respective setups, even if I do bond them and scrub the hutches and runs down, would they not notice and gravitate back into their own territories once all the space is given?

IMG_7353-1.jpg

Hi After Leanne's 3 pairs were bonded into a group of 6 they all went back to live in the shed where they'd all been housed(seperately) before with no problem. There was also no problem when they all went out into the yard where they had free range on a daily basis.Good luck!!:D

thanks for that! I wanted to know that they would bond before I set a shed up for them as a foursome. Autumn and Sophie are the ones I am worrying about.

They have met before and dispite Autumn having her spay the day before, she definately came out on top. I think I might seek 'professional' help in bonding this foursome. I was nervous enough with pairs, I don't think I could do a foursome, not without help, anyways!

My lot have to live in the same territory too after a bonding. Sometimes there's the odd hump or chase, but they settled soon enough:D

With our two pairs it ended up with all four of them living in one half of the set-up for about a week. The dominant guy was taken out of his comfort zone (his side) to minimise the chances of him getting bigheading in his own house ;) Poor Spice is never great with moves but I think as it was only through a NIC grid from her normal house she was fine, plus the other side was set-up identically to her own pad except they had luxury carpet hehe :lol:

In the garden ours used to get rota'd grazing so they were already used to going into an area smelling of the other pair then having to rescent it all, then the second pair would come back and repeat lol (although i've not seen any of them bother rescenting things in months inless its a brand new item :D ).

It worked out well that our shyist rabbit was already paired with the boss so she has someone to snuggle with or run over too if the others bossed her about at the start. I think if we had a pair of dominant buns and a pair of recessive buns it wouldn't of worked as they would have got bullied.

I am hoping to bond 2 pairs too. I'm terrified although I have never had problems bonding male/female pairs. Both pairs are pretty mild buns so I am going to give it a go in a few weeks time.

Rabswood

I will be in the same boat - two pairs bonding into a foursome - it is good to hear that other rabbits have shared the same space after bonding ... this was one of my biggest concerns.

My biggest concern is that Sophie and Autumn have met before, even now Autumn stirs it by going over to Sophies run and nips her through the bars:shock:

I tried to bond my 2 pairs and failed... The two females were having none of it and fought.
They now live happily as two pairs, but still cause havoc if they catch sight of each other.

Just to be wary that it might not work... and it is possible to break up a happily bonded pair.

The 'bond girls' - the ones who are expert at it will give you good advice!

My biggest concern is that Sophie and Autumn have met before, even now Autumn stirs it by going over to Sophies run and nips her through the bars:shock:

Don't worry, i bonded my four girls into a group despite squabbles before hand- I once had Shadow and Storm freeranging downstairs, and Moonshine managed to open her cage door :roll: (in my room) all i saw was a flash of black run into the kitchen, ran out, to see in horror, Moon pick Storm up in her mouth (Storm was 12 weeks at the time) and throw her into a wall, while storm was screaming :shock: Moon used to pick on Shads through her cage beforehand as well. Now they are a happy little family.

Yep our two girlies used to fight and our two boys used to fight:roll: Once spayed the girls calmed down (Elsa used to mainly chase Spice until the day Spice decided to "man-up" and it turned to locked on fighting). Joe and Ozzy had a few fights where we struggled to pull them apart but their fine buddies now :D Once Ozzy had decided he was the boss and Joe finally gave in they all of a sudden got on great :lol:

...all of these fights were before bonding (normally some kind of accident where one bunny had escaped... Elsa can jump 5ft walls.. :shock:) lol

Back