• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stamping foot question

Septanest

Young Bun
Hi

I have had my rabbit for almost a week. He is 9 weeks old. He is really friendly and seems to like being cuddled. He doesn't struggle when being picked up or when being held.
I let him play in a run in the garden during the day and have been putting him in a cage in the house overnight. He is clearly relaxed in his cage - often completely stretching out and lying down.
After I have had him on my knee for a period of time and I return him to his cage (carefully supporting him all the time) he stamps his foot upon being put down in the cage. He doesn't do this on every occasion............but he does it possibly 50% of the time. I am sure he can't feel there is danger. I am convinced he feels secure in his cage. What do you think he is feeling when he does this?
Thank you
Jill

He has probably just letting you know he was enjoying his time with you and doesn't want to go to bed thankyou very much! Audrey does this when she's been out in the garden all day and I put her back in her hutch. She soon perks up though when she gets fed:lol:. Honey on the other hand knows hutch means food and is bouncing around in their run as if to say "me first me first". Maybe if he gets fed as soon as he goes back into his cage he will not mind so much. Also how big is his cage and does he have a run attatched? a good area to move/run about will also hopefully make him like his cage better when he gets used to it.
Good luck:D

thank you for your reply. There isn't a run attached to Jack's cage. He has access to a run during the day........but I want to ensure he is secure at night and is safe in his cage. I wish rabbits knew that we only want what is best for them. :cry:

Rabbits don't only thump as a danger alert, they do it as their way of communicating, sometimes it's danger, sometimes it's annoyance, sometimes it's just to say 'hurry up with my dinner, I'm starving!'

You can have fun making up what the latest thump is for...

Welcome to the forum, by the way, it's nice to see a new face about. :wave:

Back