• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For Those Who Have 'Happy Hutch' Hutches Or Runs

sonnet

Alpha Buck
...please can you tell me what the wire is like on them?
I'm still searching for a decent enclosed wooden run & after contacting 'Happy Hutch' to ask them if they use heavy duty fox proof wire they replied:

"we use 19g wire on our runs, we don’t think there is a run or hutch on the market that is fox proof, some companys say theirs are but I wouldn’t believe them."

Can owners of HH runs/hutches let me know what they think please?
How thick is 19g as I haven't a clue?!
Is it thicker than cheap flimsy chicken wire?

It's sturdier than chicken wire but I had a fox chew through mine anyway :(

I don't think many if any come with thicker wire though, if you like the hutch, get it but maybe consider putting extra mesh on yourself.

Is it thicker than cheap flimsy chicken wire?

yes it is - their mesh is like the stuff that you get in garden centres... I find that HH use nice long staples to secure their mesh - this is the weakest point I find & has a near tragedy when a fox managed to push the mesh away from the frame of a less well made hutch...

The wire is stronger than chicken wire but not like proper weld mesh, however the roof overhang on the hutches is woefully inadequate (despite me telling them I live in rainy Wales!) and so mine all leak, I have put extra roofing felt over the back and both sides and they still leak, so now have to have a tarpaulin over it to keep it dry, so will not be buying hutches from them again! Have only had them for about 10 months and some of the wood is also warped.

It's sturdier than chicken wire but I had a fox chew through mine anyway :(

:(:( Did it actually chew through the wire or did it pull it away from the frame?

The mesh is definitely thicker than chicken wire. Chicken wire tends to 'unravel' if it's chewed whereas weld mesh doesn't. I don't think any run can claim to be totally fox proof, but more fox resistant.

fionaw, I must be following you around. :lol::lol: My Happy Hutch leaked at first, through the tongue and groove sides, but I used a couple of coats of woodstain and it's been fine since. Mine is about the same age and still as good as new. ;):)

well i dont know about the mesh but i know the run split after 3 months!

i moved it around every 3 days, and it just couldnt cope with the moving all the time. pretty poor when you consider it had 2 seperate sides and 4 'poles' so you could take it apart and move it!! thats why i got it!

:(:( Did it actually chew through the wire or did it pull it away from the frame?

The mesh is definitely thicker than chicken wire. Chicken wire tends to 'unravel' if it's chewed whereas weld mesh doesn't. I don't think any run can claim to be totally fox proof, but more fox resistant.

fionaw, I must be following you around. :lol::lol: My Happy Hutch leaked at first, through the tongue and groove sides, but I used a couple of coats of woodstain and it's been fine since. Mine is about the same age and still as good as new. ;):)

Ripped a big hole right in the middle.

I emailed them to ask if they'd consider using heavier stuff and they didn;t even have the courtesy to reply.

Oh gosh! :shock::shock: I was so sad when you posted about poor Guinness and Briony but I didn't really know how the fox had got in. I'm so sorry. :( That's a huge worry, considering most hutches/runs use 19g wire.

It's very bad of HH to not even acknowledge your email; although that's probably why they won't say now that the wire's fox proof.

Oh gosh! :shock::shock: I was so sad when you posted about poor Guinness and Briony but I didn't really know how the fox had got in. I'm so sorry. :( That's a huge worry, considering most hutches/runs use 19g wire.
It's very bad of HH to not even acknowledge your email; although that's probably why they won't say now that the wire's fox proof.

Hmm yeah seems like they are covering themselves just in case - don't think they'll be getting my custom.

Back