• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really concerned, Polo has lost a lot of weight U/D 11/05 she has gone

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I took Polo to the vets tonight for her Cylap vaccination, and my vet asked if i thought she had lost weight, and I said that I did think that she had lost some as she felt bonier than usual. She said that she looked thinner from the last time she saw her, and that when she did her dental she looked thinner then too.

Polo has small spurs and some ulcers on her tongue so I assumed this was why she had lost weight and wasnt eating. Anyway.... last year she weight 2.2kg, and when she had her dental she weighed 1.8kg and today she weight 1.4kg which is a huge drop in just two weeks. I have been told to try and fatten her up and if she continues to lose weight we will do tests.

How can i fatten her up, she is eating LOADS at the moment so i thought it wouldnt be too much of a problem.

I am worried sick!! :cry:

Last edited:
I took Polo to the vets tonight for her Cylap vaccination, and my vet asked if i thought she had lost weight, and I said that I did think that she had lost some as she felt bonier than usual. She said that she looked thinner from the last time she saw her, and that when she did her dental she looked thinner then too.

Polo has small spurs and some ulcers on her tongue so I assumed this was why she had lost weight and wasnt eating. Anyway.... last year she weight 2.2kg, and when she had her dental she weighed 1.8kg and today she weight 1.4kg which is a huge drop in just two weeks. I have been told to try and fatten her up and if she continues to lose weight we will do tests.

How can i fatten her up, she is eating LOADS at the moment so i thought it wouldnt be too much of a problem.

I am worried sick!! :cry:

I assume the Vet did not do the VHD Vaccine ?

What does her daily diet consist of ?

Sorry to hear your bun Polo has lost weight :(. Is she on pain relief for her dental problems? I am sure other people may have some ideas? Is your vet a rabbit savvy one?
Porridge oats are good for putting weight on rabbits and most rabbits seem to like them, although you need to mix them with water before feeding.
Hope you find out the cause of the weight loss.

No she didnt do the vaccine but Opal had hers.

Her daily diet consists of (bear in mind she lives with Oscar) a handful of SS nuggets, unlimited hay and fresh veg on an evening. She always has leafy greens (usually a large leaf each) and something like small pieces two of the following: carrots, swede, parsley, apple, celery, celeriac, mint, basil.

She is the only one to have lost weight. At the moment Ive given her extra veg and extra nuggets.

I don't want to panic you...but when poppy was losing weight fast they said "fatten her up and then we'll do tests"....she died the day they finally did the tests :( so don't leave it too long.

obviously I can't extrapolate from one incident and apply it to all buns, I just thought it was worth mentioning cos I've always felt like if I'd had them done sooner I could have saved her.

exactly one year ago today she died :(

Have you considered giving them a course of panacur? My sisters bun Robbie lost loads of weight in two weeks, think he went from 2.2 to 1.4 or something. A 28 day course of panacur and he has totally recovered:)

Unless you actually sit and watch them eat you wont know whether Polo is getting her fare share. I would suggest feeding her seperately for a week and monitor exactly how much she is eating. Weigh her at the start of the week and again at the end. If she is a Dental Bun she may take longer to chew each mouthful. So Opal may be eating the majority of the nuggets even if it looks as though Polo is eaing too. She is, but only one mouthful for every 5 of Opals !!

Have you rule out cancer?

To gain wt., corn are meant to be fattening. Many yr. ago, when I don't know any better about bunnies, I used to give 1/2 length (about 4 in) of corn for my Flemish Giant

When Silas lost weight, it turned out that he was a slow eater :roll: he has blood tests and everything, but in the end the only thing I could do was to split him to fatten him up (he is now with a different group and the fattest of the lot!:lol:). Cortez lost weight, again I split him to fatten him (also panacured just in case, but didn't blood test as he began putting the weight back on).
I'd say feed extra pellets - perhaps try a junior/dwarf variety and feed dried grass... carrots are fattening too
fingers crossed for her! I know how worrying it can be when a bun go skinny suddenly :(
noserubs from her Aunty Flower

I checked on her this morning and she seemed even thinner. I can feel her spine. I rushed her to the vets as she was looking poorly and not eating. He thinks she is dying and has kidney failure. I wanted to give her a chance to recover and he said that as she was so young that he did too. So she has had a cocktail of drugs including antibiotics and pain relief. I was given the option to PTS too. He is going to phone me in the morning and if i want to PTS he will do it in the morning (open surgery for me). She is covered in urine too, as though she is sitting in it which is another reason why he suspects kidney failure.

My concern is that if this was E.C., would the weight be dropping off her as quickly as it is?

I am absolutely devastated to say the least. I dont know what to do.

oh Joanne I'm so sorry:cry:
poor Polo and poor you..As far as EC goes I think we are all still learning about its affects
Has she been panacured as I would have her on this too, keep her warm and try not to give up. While she is hanging in and aslong as she is not distressed keep going with the drugs..she may pull round in a couple of days Will keep my fingers crossed for her xxx.

Oh my goodness poor Polo. She is in the best place, I really hope she can pull through.

sending vibes for Polo and thinking of you both

I'm so sorry, it's absolutely heartbreaking especially after what she went through last year and got through it :cry::cry::cry:

I really hope she is able to pull through this too

*sending mega-vibes*

Oh I'm so sorry. My Noah is a one for dropping weight and it's scary how fast it does seem to fall off. If it's any comfort he is still with me. He had EC two years ago and since then, his weight fluctuates. I have to monitor him and have had to separate him from Dande at feed times ( she tends to eat all the pies given half a chance) twice so I can intensively build him back up. Each time, he's responded well and the weight has gone back on. He spent all winter indoors at night, back out with Dande during the day, because I wasn't happy with his fat reserves, so sending loads of (((((vibes))))) that Polo can come through this. Totally agree with Jill, re the Panacur, worth a go.

No i havn't got any panacur :( I can get some today though

Thanks for the support everyone. We will keep on fighting.
I wanted some pain relief that I could administer but he said that she might not cope very well on the metacam as he body is already to weak. She has been given enough pain relief to last the weekend though, she has had vitamin shots and everything else too.

I am sorry that Polo is so poorly :cry:
Whilst EC is always a possibility I do wonder if Polo's apparent renal failure is actually related to her Myxi last year. Sadly this can happen after an apparent recovery.

I do hope your Vet is able to help Polo

xx

Last edited:
Back