• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit nails

Take a look at the nails...if you see the pink nervy bit,dont cut it...
Failing that,take Bunny to the vets...the nurse will trim them for you and maybe show you how to do it in future.
I cut my ferrets toenails all the time...the bunnies I get a bit nervous with as theyre not keen.Maybe get a friend to help,but like I say,dont cut the pink bits.best of luck!!x

I cut my buns nails :)
If it's the first time you've done it, just take off the very end of the nail so that you and your buns get used to doing it :) You'll get more confident the more you do it.
As has already been said avoid the pink bit :)

Sammy has black nails so it's very difficult to know how much is safe to cut. My vet advised me just to nip off the point/sharp bit at the ends regularly and that will safely keep them at an acceptable length:)

with black nails look underneath the nail,then you can see the pink bit.Keep a styptic pencil [or cornflour] at hand incase you accidently nic it.[styptic pencils can be bought in supermarkets near mens shaving stuff]:)

For an average haired rabbit they usually need to be about in line with the fur. Unless they look massively overgrown just trimming the points off is a good start. The quick doesn't go right to the end so you'll miss it.

thanks every one they are not over long to the point of curling if that make sense lol.I might just trim the ends off and get them use to it x

I do my REW as he has white nails and it is really easy to see. Just make sure you miss the quick. I'm too much of a chicken to do my other one as you can't see the quick so I take her to the vets.

Back