• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam advice

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
My little Joey was poorly this morning, so suspecting it could be his teeth we've been to the vets.
She thinks it's more tummy trouble as his teeth are great, so she's given him an anti inflammatory injection along with lactulose and baytril that was at 11am.
I've syringe fed him, but he's got no interest in food at all and looks really miserable.
I've got some metacam so does anyone know what dosage would be ok for a 0.9kg rabbit, and would you say it's ok to give alongside what the vet has prescribed?

Jacks Jane put the dosage on here previously.. she is great with all that complicated stuff :D You could PM her? I'm sure she wouldn't mind. :wave:

You'd need to call your Vet re administering more Metacam as you'd need to know the exact dose given this morning.

If he is still poorly then personally I would be wanting to speak with the Vet again anyway. If he has had Lactulose he should also be on additional fluid therapy. Lactulose is an osmotic laxative and works by drawing water into the bowel to soften the bowel contents. If Bun is not eating or drinking giving Lactulose without additional fluids is not a good idea.

Bun has also not received any gut motility stimulant. Was this because the Vet suspected a blockage ? If so then Bun needs reassessing this afternoon and should be taken back to the Vet for re-examination.

Good luck and sending vibes

xx

Last edited:
thanks jane - i've been syringing water into him along with babies pureed apple as he's spitting out the mushed up pellets.
I'll give vet another call to find out if I can give him some cisapride too

Last edited:
Back