• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is He Quiet Due To VHD Jab After Effects?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Dylan had his first VHD vaccination last night (Cylap) - he was fine last night but this morning seems almost sleepy-like & a little quiet.
He's only eaten half his morning pellets (which he normally goes mad for) but has been out for a hop around & has been playing/eating his willow ball & I've just left him in his litter tray munching on his barley straw bedding.

It's been so long since my last bun had his first set of vaccinations that I can't remember if he reacted the same or not.

It must be linked in with the VHD as he was full of beans yesterday.
He seems bright but just a little quieter & slower than normal - is this normal post VHD vacc? :?

It could be from the injection, or from the stress associated with a trip to the vets. If he gets worse he'll need to see a vet as it could turn into something like stasis. Either way, mention it to your vet (they need to report adverse reactions) and it would be a good idea to ask for Lapinject next time :)

this happened to Bunnie on her first one and she had a little limp and kept holding her paw up which can be another side affect. SHe was fine though a couple of days later:D

It's quite common, don't worry about it. He may develop a limp too, but it'll pass off in a day or two.

Unfortunately Cylap often has bad side effects for bunnies! Some buns react very badly! Mine were poorly for a few days all hunched up very sleepy and not wanting to move or eat! Fortunately there is an alternative called lapinject I told my vet about the reaction and they have agreed to use lapinject next time!

Unfortunately Cylap often has bad side effects for bunnies! Some buns react very badly! Mine were poorly for a few days all hunched up very sleepy and not wanting to move or eat! Fortunately there is an alternative called lapinject I told my vet about the reaction and they have agreed to use lapinject next time!

I will ask next time for lapinject & hope that they will do it for me.
What if they say they only stock Cylap?

I'm glad to say that he is totally back to his normal hyper self today :)

I'm glad he's feeling better today :) my vet only stocks cylap so I have to call in advance so they can order it in! Apparently the main reason they use cylap is because it comes in single doses Lapinject comes in doses of about 5 and once opened has to be used so they would end up wasting it!

Aubrey had his first VHD last year, and developed a very nasty scab the size of a 20p piece at the injection site... Still debating whether to let him have it again this year... That was Lapinject.
I guess it all takes different buns different ways.

Oh no! poor little lad! flippin' 'eck just when you think you have it sussed! I presume you posted on here? Had anyone else's bun had a similar reaction to it?

Tell 'em you'll go elsewhere.
But really, there's no reason why they shouldn't. They only need to order in one bottle, and it's very cheap. Just give them notice that they need to order it :)

Oh no! poor little lad! flippin' 'eck just when you think you have it sussed! I presume you posted on here? Had anyone else's bun had a similar reaction to it?

I didn't mention it on the forum, cos the bun didn't seem to mind, it just looked very sore to me! It took a couple of weeks to heal, and come off, and he was fine afterwards.... when the fur had grown back over!

Opinion is a little mixed on the forum, and advice from vets is also contradictory sometimes.

Most people will tell you to get your bunny vaccinated for myxamatosis every 6 months, and VHD once a year.
Myxi jab is especially important... There is a lot of it about at the mo.

I would stick with what he had before the lapyjet (forgive the spelling), the sleepiness he experienced is quite normal as I believe it is a live vaccine, and bunnies like to let us know when you have upset them by taking them somewhere like to vets! Mine are usually quiet for a bit but are quite happy none the less, at least you know they are safe from VHD then, it is a terrible illness for a rabbit to suffer. My little girl likes to be tucked into her bedroom after a vaccine and I put a sheet over her hutch and just check on her now and then, when they are feeling under the weather they like the added security of the sheet because in the wild they have to hide when they are feeling ill as it makes them vunerable, the sheet lets them relax and recouperate in peace! aah!:love:

Back