• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma, wot would you do?

Benjybunnyboo

Alpha Buck
Hello all,

I have a dilemma and wondered what anyone else would do.
My bun Benjy is single and although he plays with the cats, (running along side them in his run) i feel he would benefit from a friend. Now the Rescue centre have suggested a baby doe, when Benjy is neutered, but i feel the babies will find homes quickly anyway and i have fallen in love with another male called Widget, who is adult and in a bit of a mess. He is a lop but only has 1 and half ears and lumps bitten out of his nose due to fighting, but he is adorable, but i dont think he and Benjy will live happily together. What do i do.:roll:
Baby or Widget?

You could always try it.
If their bonding doesn't work, then there are plenty of females in Rabbit in Need.
If they are far away do not worry, 'bunnyruns' can take place :)
I'll give you a task.... see how many posts you have to look through before you fall head over heels!
:lol:

Hi, thanks for replying. So you think i should try Widget and Benjy together. They both would need neutering then, its just that the RSPCA said that unless they were brothers neutered males tend to fight, so if i get Widget and they fight i'll have to seperate them and then have two rabbits needing friends. It may be that Widget has had such a bad experience he might be better on his own, i dont know.
I have met Widget and so desperately want him, but i want the best for both him and Benjy:(.
If i get Widget i know that husband wont allow anymore so the boys will only have eachother, seperated by mesh if they fight.
The more i write the more im convincing myself to get Widgy:)

I think it is unlikely that they will get on. They both would need to wait 6 weeks after neutering to even attempt it.

If Widget has bits missing from bites in the past it is quite likely that he will be traumatised by his experiences which would make him more defensive in the future and less likely to bond with a male rabbit. I think it would be much better for Widget to be paired with a female for his future happiness. But thats just my opinion:)

I think it's admirable that you want to adopt a needy bun, rather than a cute baby. :love:

I have to say that I think it would be better to pair Benjy with a female though - have a look on Rabbit Rehome, there may well be other rescues close to you that have needy females. Or the RSPCA may well have other buns in by the time Benjy is ready to be paired up. :)

It's possible to bond two neutered males, but there is a chance it won't work (especially given Widget's background and bad experience with other buns); it wouldn't be the same to keep them apart with a mesh divide, they would miss the close companionship.

it isn't always impossible to get two boys together but it is much harder. Both would have to be neutered for some time, it would have to be completely neuteral space & you would need an experienced bonder, probably the rescue to have a go for you & be prepared to possibly have someone else. You are more likely to get the sort of loved up bond that he probably wants with a girl & potentially expose yourself to less heart ache. I would probably go with the rescue on this one.

Thank you all for your help.
I know the rescue centre have 2 lots of kits at the moment with 3 or 4 pregnant does, so getting a female for Benjy wont be a problem. But i fear noone will want Widget because he isnt "perfect" and i know my hubbie will not want anymore buns, I have a fight to get another as it is. So its a case of enriching Benjy's life with a doe and not get Widget or get Widget and both he and Benjy live an unfullfilling life.
If i had my way, i would get Widget and a baby doe for Benjy and try to pair Widgy when he has settled, if thats what he wants.
Maybe i should dump the hubbie lol :lol:

Thank you all for your help.
I know the rescue centre have 2 lots of kits at the moment with 3 or 4 pregnant does, so getting a female for Benjy wont be a problem. But i fear noone will want Widget because he isnt "perfect" and i know my hubbie will not want anymore buns, I have a fight to get another as it is. So its a case of enriching Benjy's life with a doe and not get Widget or get Widget and both he and Benjy live an unfullfilling life.
If i had my way, i would get Widget and a baby doe for Benjy and try to pair Widgy when he has settled, if thats what he wants.
Maybe i should dump the hubbie lol :lol:

What is the name of this rescue?

The centre is an RSPCA rehoming centre in Walderslade, kent, its where i got Benjy from and my cat, Syd (well not at the same address)

Back