• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie back to the vet at 11.50am - U/D back from vets

Alfie is back to the vets at 11.50am to discuss his future treatment.

Incase you haven't seen my previous post he is struggling to breathe, x rays/heart scans have shown nothing wrong.

Anyway he had a steroid injection last week which really helped but as soon as it had worn off he is back to his 'normal'.

Our vet e-mailed me before going to a conference that he has seen a similar rex with similar problems and Bisolvon has helped him. Done a search on here and it seems its for snuffles or mucus on the lungs so not sure if that will help.

I'll try anything at the moment as its breaking my heart just watching him rock in the corner of his cage, especially after last week when he could run about and do happy flops because of the steroid injection :cry:

Anyway I know there is lots of poorly buns at the moment, so my thoughts are with us all.

Last edited:
Alfie is back to the vets at 11.50am to discuss his future treatment.

Incase you haven't seen my previous post he is struggling to breathe, x rays/heart scans have shown nothing wrong.

Anyway he had a steroid injection last week which really helped but as soon as it had worn off he is back to his 'normal'.

Our vet e-mailed me before going to a conference that he has seen a similar rex with similar problems and Bisolvon has helped him. Done a search on here and it seems its for snuffles or mucus on the lungs so not sure if that will help.

I'll try anything at the moment as its breaking my heart just watching him rock in the corner of his cage, especially after last week when he could run about and do happy flops because of the steroid injection :cry:

Anyway I know there is lots of poorly buns at the moment, so my thoughts are with us all.

Sending extra special vibes for Alfie Bun !! :love: :love: :love:

:love: :love: <<<< From Elyse xx

Oh lots of vibes for Alfie...last time I was at the vets William was talking about a bun he was seeing who had breathing dificulties and I said "oh do you mean Alfie" he looked surprised and said err yes do you know him? :lol: So he is definitely thinking about him a lot and I am sure he will do everything possible to find some answers.

Loads of vibes :love:

Oh lots of vibes for Alfie...last time I was at the vets William was talking about a bun he was seeing who had breathing dificulties and I said "oh do you mean Alfie" he looked surprised and said err yes do you know him? :lol: So he is definitely thinking about him a lot and I am sure he will do everything possible to find some answers.

Loads of vibes :love:

:lol::lol: too funny!

He does seem very good so hopefully he can help Alfie :D

Oh I'm sorry to hear Alfie is poorly.

We had a black rex doe a few years ago who had breathing difficulties. It started fairly soon after we got her (she was from a rescue and she was bonded with our existing rabbit).

First I noticed she always sat rather upright, then with her nose pointed (stargazing). She was started on Baytril but we didn't see an improvement. Another longer course of Baytril followed. She was very easily stressed and when I took her in the car for another vet appointment she was flat out and mouth breathing. She was kept in and she would seem ok but if she was got out to be examined they had to put her in an oxygen tent because she would just "collapse".

It was decided that it was Pasturella and she came home to live inside on long term Baytril and Seroid tablets.

Looking back I wonder if she had an allergy as she was fine inside but I put her outside once on a sunny day next to the other bun who had woodshavings in his hutch/run and she had another attack.

Good luck with Alfie's treatment.

Oh I'm sorry to hear Alfie is poorly.

We had a black rex doe a few years ago who had breathing difficulties. It started fairly soon after we got her (she was from a rescue and she was bonded with our existing rabbit).

First I noticed she always sat rather upright, then with her nose pointed (stargazing). She was started on Baytril but we didn't see an improvement. Another longer course of Baytril followed. She was very easily stressed and when I took her in the car for another vet appointment she was flat out and mouth breathing. She was kept in and she would seem ok but if she was got out to be examined they had to put her in an oxygen tent because she would just "collapse".

It was decided that it was Pasturella and she came home to live inside on long term Baytril and Seroid tablets.

Looking back I wonder if she had an allergy as she was fine inside but I put her outside once on a sunny day next to the other bun who had woodshavings in his hutch/run and she had another attack.

Good luck with Alfie's treatment.

Sounds simliar to Alfie, especially the breathing. We are discussing allergys, asthma etc. He is an indoor bun, so just has hay in their litter trays but woodshavings right at the bottom underneath paper. I will stop that straight away.

The steroid injection helped so much but I know its not the best long term solution.

Might be best to remove the shavings, I don't use them for any of the pets now not even the hamsters.

When Daisy came in and was ok she only had paper (shredded newspaper) bedding on the vets instruction although allergy was never actually mentioned to me. It only now looking back I wonder about it but also it was a warm day when I put her outside again which I now know isn't helpful for respiratory problems.

This all happened approx 7 or 8 years ago and things have really moved on since them in rabbit medicine and care hasn't it, so hopefully you'll get Alfie sorted.

Daisy was beautiful and very feisty we never knew how old she was of course. She died of a heart attack, we think, again on a hot day but she was inside, after one of her attacks from which she had seemed to have recovered. She is buried in the garden in front of the arbour so we can sit and chat to her. She'd certainly have something to say about the young bunnies we have now - cheeky young pups!

Back from vets, no news really except we are going to try him a week on Bisolvon to see if this helps. If within the next few days he doesn't get any better or gets worse I have to take him back to the vets for a steroid injection.

I've got another appointment next Tuesday to discuss my thoughts on this weeks treatment.

If the only thing thats helps Alfie is steroids he told me the safest way is to nebulise not tablets or injections as they have more side effects. I found this old thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=173316&highlight=Bisolvon so will buy one if need be.

If you read this thread Santa :wave: did you buy one and does it help?

Back from vets, no news really except we are going to try him a week on Bisolvon to see if this helps. If within the next few days he doesn't get any better or gets worse I have to take him back to the vets for a steroid injection.

I've got another appointment next Tuesday to discuss my thoughts on this weeks treatment.

If the only thing thats helps Alfie is steroids he told me the safest way is to nebulise not tablets or injections as they have more side effects. I found this old thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=173316&highlight=Bisolvon so will buy one if need be.

If you read this thread Santa :wave: did you buy one and does it help?

Santa did buy this, I got it for her :lol: but I don't think she has used it yet

Back