• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honey has her surgery in the morning...U/D Shes Home :) Wont poo in indoor cage

Tinytoez

Warren Scout
Im really really worried about tomorow, I have to take her for 8.30 and its a 20 minute drive without traffic, so I will be leaving at just before 8 to be on the safe side.

It is niggling me, but I would hope as we are using the PDSA they wouldnt operate if they thought it was pointless, as a charity cant afford to just operate for the sake of it, but Im really scared too, it will break everyones hearts if after everything we have done she gives up, she is turning into such a character, and is totally different from the shy scared excuse of a rabbit she was when we rescued her.

Katie is taking one of her lucky Elephants to school, I just wish I had something lucky - I might ask to borrow the other one.

I am not even going to get her an indoor cage until I know she is ok, as I really dont want to jinx anything, and Im wondering if I would be better getting her the smaller Guinea Pig cage to restrict her movement rather than the rabbit one (even though she is small).

Its going to be a long day tomorrow - Ive booked the day off work.

Wish us Luck pleeeeeeeze

T

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

We got there for just gone 8.30.
She has her food with her and her towel in her carry box, we went in the office handed her over, were warned again about the slightly higher risk with rabbits, then we left her there and drove home again.

I decided I couldnt sit around waiting so I went and got one of them savic indoor cages, as it will be better for her if she is inside until everything is healed as we can keep it all that much more clean than we can outside, not to mention any nasty flying things landing on her - I felt all mumsy in the shop and got her one of them tiny dog beds with fleece on one side and something smooth on the other, we havent got it ready yet as we cant bring ourselves to do it until we know she is ok.

Every time the phone rings I jump, as if we havent heard by 2.30, we have to call them, but I guess we will only hear if its BAD news.

Now I know what my mum felt like every time I had an operation as a kid (and I had 15 of the things!!).

Come on Honey we want you home, please dont let that nasty GA get you, Katie has even taken her Lucky Hefelump to school and you dont want to let her down do you.

Scared isnt the word right here at the moment.....

We got a call at 2.45 but missed it as mum decided to cut the lawn to keep busy, so I called them back and they told us she was ready to come home.
We arrived at 3.30 and had to wait for about 20 minutes, but were eventually called in to see the nurse, she was sitting in her carry box awake and with her ears semi up - I was exstatic to see her!
We were told she had eaten some food and had a drink - they gave us her bag of hay back, but not the box of food.
I was quite suprised that we didnt even get any pain medicine for her, we were just told to take her home and keep her warm dry and quiet, they said she didnt have any problems at all with the GA and all she had removed was a fatty lump (horaaay) she looks like shes been in the wars though, because she has a huge shaved patch that seems to start on her back and go right round underneath her and then some, and the wound itself looks just over an inch long in a straight line, she does have stitches but they are under her skin and wont need removing, and she is crispy from what looks like disinfectant, but she does need to go back on Friday for a 2 day check up.

When I left she was in her indoor rabbit cage eating her carrot, and I had seen her eating her hay and pellets too, and she drank from her bottle like she hadnt had a drink forever.
We have got her set up with newspaper on the bottom of the cage, and her ball and litter potty in one end and I bought her a little fleecy dog bed which I wrapped in the towel that was in her carry box, after about half an hour of trying to get to sleep, she walked over to it, kicked it and weed on it then laid next to her wee! so we took the towel and the dog bed out and replaced it with shredded paper.
So much for me thinking of her comfort!

Im just so glad shes home and looking a little bit less bedraggled than she did when she came home, and that she has eaten and drank.

She will be spending the next 3 weeks in the office depending on how she recovers, so she can be kept an eye on, and tonight the good thing is that she can be left in peace over night without being disturbed and even be locked in if Katie decides she wont leave her be.

Just text Angie, and she hasnt had a poo yet, she had been home since 4 and its 8 now, should I be worried.
I did mention possibly putting her in her cage to do one and bringing the poos in and putting them in her litter tray to try and encourage her to go.
She seems to not like going out of her cage much even though she has started to, so could this be the operation or just her normal behaviour??

Lol, yes weve has poos, what a palava it was to get her to do it.
I replied to my cousin that maybe she should take her out to her cage, as shes a fussy moo and wont normally go outside her cage, she called me saying she was worried about picking her up - so I walked the 5 mins down the road to her house with the carry box.

When I got there we put the box in her cage, and almost scooped her into it, then took her out to her cage, she almost jumped out into it, we left her in there for about 10 mind and lo and behold as if by magic - half a dozen poos and a wee!!!

So we took her back inside and I scooped them up and put them in her cage to see if she will go if she thinks she did already.

What do we do, is it better to take her out a few times a day or leave her outside, coz Im worried if we dont she will end up in stasis???

I am not sure. Usually, vets recommend that a bunny is kept inside for at least a day after surgery. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to answer your question.

Back