• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent advice please re Joseph

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
OMG i don't belive this Joseph has something stuck in his eye i think its hay again (same thing happened a few weeks ago in his other eye) he is clamping it shut.
I have called the emergency vet and its not Christabel on and the guy i spoke to said i should be able to get it out myself and that if i was to come to the surgery he wuld only pull it out and send us off anyway.

I am waiting for my mum to come back to try again to get it out but its going to hurt him, i have some metacam do you think i can give him some and does anyone know the dosage?

Don't know what else to do now :?

OMG i don't belive this Joseph has something stuck in his eye i think its hay again (same thing happened a few weeks ago in his other eye) he is clamping it shut.
I have called the emergency vet and its not Christabel on and the guy i spoke to said i should be able to get it out myself and that if i was to come to the surgery he wuld only pull it out and send us off anyway.

I am waiting for my mum to come back to try again to get it out but its going to hurt him, i have some metacam do you think i can give him some and does anyone know the dosage?

Don't know what else to do now :?

Tell me about the duty Vet :roll:

I cannot legally tell you to administer Metacam but put it this way if it happened here to one of my Buns and I had Metacam I'd give it .....

If you can get your Mum to hold Joseph firmly you can attempt to get the hay out by gently pulling his upper eyelid out and up. Hay strands usually get stuck in the conjunctiva under the upper lid. If you locate it just very gently pull it out. Then irrigate his eye with lots of cooled boiled water.
He will need to be checked by a Vet ( one that can tell one end of a Rabbit from the other :roll:) ASAP to make sure all the hay is out and that there are no corneal abrasions. He'll need some Tiacil or Fucithalmic too.

Well done Jane, I knew you wouldn't be far away.

I can't add anything to that as I have no experience of eye pokes, but I do hope that Joseph will be fighting fit again soon Katie.

Ok we have managed to get it out (OMG do i feel sick now!) it was wrapped right around the eyeball, i still have the eye drops from 2 weeks ago so i have used those, can you please give me the dosage per kg for the metacam? Pm me if you like! He had it last time from the vet so i want to give it to him now it must hurt like hell! Thanks xx

I had it for Lionel last week and he was to have 0.16ml Joesph is twice the size of him so i am assuming its 0.32ml :?

Goodness Katie poor Joseph :cry: - I know it will be painful for him, but he must be so relieved that you've managed to get it out for him. Sending him vibes to be ok soon & pain free xxxx

Ok we have managed to get it out (OMG do i feel sick now!) it was wrapped right around the eyeball, i still have the eye drops from 2 weeks ago so i have used those, can you please give me the dosage per kg for the metacam? Pm me if you like! He had it last time from the vet so i want to give it to him now it must hurt like hell! Thanks xx

Is it the Dog Metacam ?

If so he can have a maximum dose of 0.4ml/kg/24hrs
You can give it in 2 divided doses of 0.2ml/kg/12 hrs but I'd go for the full dose tonight as yes, it'll be bloody sore.

Back