• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mixed gender bondings - what ratio ??

rabbithabit

Warren Scout
I know I have asked a few questions before on bonding but have had a change of heart in who i'm going to bond. In this group I have 4 bunnies 2 male and 2 female and am expecting 2 more who I aim to bond with them into a group. I was expecting 2 more bucks, but will having 4 bucks and only 2 does in a group throw off the balance and make it more difficult or will it be easier as they are not as territorial as girls ???
I can change my mind of the gender of the two new ones, but as they are young and having both boys I wouldn't need to get them neutered as soon as if I had a girl and boy and would initially be able to house them together, but obviously have to think about the end outcome. I have also got to think of the group bonding doesn't go well what would best suit smaller groups. :wave:

Any advice would be appreciated.

i would neuter all rabbits before pairing them at all bcoz of 1.health issues 2. territorial issues and hormones wich may make it harder to bond and 3. obviously u dont want alot of little bunnys lol

My two does are already spayed and one of the bucks neutered the other one is two young yet and so will the new ones be.....that is one of the reasons I was thinking of having bucks as there will be no chance of unplanned litters. As the bucks are still so young I though I could put them together until they are neutered, but am I best to keep them apart until then or seperated after surgery, or still keep them together. I though they would bond easier being so young.

im not the best person for advice on here as i am pretty new but im sure from 12 weeks onwards they can mate but i would say if u have neutered in with un then when u take the un away to get neautered then you will need to rebond all over again??:?

What I was thinking was maybe keep the 3 neutered together and the 3 un-neutered together until they are done which should be around the same time and then bond the 2 sets of 3 together. That would be a group a 2 girls and a boy and a group of 3 young boys ???:wave:

well yeah that sounds reasonable!! i would just watch the un neutered set as they can get very territorial being of the same sex etc without being done

Thanks, I would aim to get them done as soon as they are old enough. If they are all boys would I still be best to seperate them after neutering until they are healed or would they be ok to stay together to avoid having to rebond :wave:

Back