• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post-spay U/D Much better but still not drinking(Sat)

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
Daisy was spayed today and has been home about 25 mins or so, and she's been sitting in her carry case since she came home. She's had metaclop and metacam injections today, and apparently she ate and pooed while at the vets, so hopefully that means all is/will be fine :D

But I just want to check how long it's ok for her not to eat /drink today before i should be concerned? Just in case she decides to remain in her carrier for the time being, do I just leave her to rest for the next few hours, or should I be trying to get her to eat and drink?

Last edited:
Hiya
Gwen had her spay last week, shes now almost back to normal thankfully. She was spayed on the Thursday and she didnt return to eating pellets till the saturday. I did manage to tempt her with hay and dandelion leaves though. I also gave her water in a bowl and literally put it under her nose as for the first 12 hours after her scan she didnt seem to want to move around.

Also she wouldnt use her litter tray for first 24 hours and was just peeing where she was laid so I had to keep changing her towel.

Hope thats a bit of help

when Jelly was spayed she didnt fancy her pellets for about 2-3 days but had an appetite for treats and veg! :lol:

offer grass, dandelions, herbs, veggies etc just to keep her eating, dont be too concerned if she isnt eating the pellets as long as shes eating other stuff :)

my boys were fussy aswell after neuters!

Hi Star was spayed on Monday and I would say yesterday she back to 'normal'. She was eating treats of vegs etc but didn't go back on the pellets until 3/4 days afterwards. I put a bowl of water (and food) right next to her and she wasn't moving about much for the first few days.

Thanks for your replies :wave:

Daisy is still in her carry case and is totally flopped out. I managed to get her to take a small piece of parsley about half an hour ago, but she's refused everything else, including carrot and dandelion flowers. I don't want to hassle her, so I've just left everything close to her so she can take it when she's ready.

I know it's very soon after the op/coming home and it's no wonder she doesn't want anything, but I hate seeing her like this :(

Bit worried - Daisy isn't eating or drinking really, just a very few leaves of mint and oregano and a tiny sip of water after i held it under her nose for a few mins.

She has moved about a bit, hopped to her litter tray and has done a few tiny poos this morning, but it looked like she was straining to go, and no wee today that I could see.

I've given her a bit of metacam, even though she wasn't due to have it until 12, but it really seems as though she's in pain.

Any advice?

It is still early yet and as she has eaten and pood, albeit little, that's probably a good sign. It does take 24 hours to get back to normal so maybe wait to see if she decides to eat anything then. You could always syringe some water if you are worried about her not drinking :)

My Daisy seemed like she was in a bit of pain and uncomfortable, but she seemed to pick up a bit after some metacam. I split the dose in half and gave her some morning and evening. A little while after that she was more easily tempted by food. I kept sticking tasty morsels infront of her nose constantly along with the shallow water bowl. Will she eat some herbs if you wet them that way you can get a bit of extra fluid into her?! I figured as long as shes eating little and often it would be OK and like everyone said it took a good 3 days or so before she started eating her normal food and pooing properly.

Thanks for replies. I've just given her a fenugreek crunchy, which she's eaten all of and also managed to get her to take a bit of parsley dipped in water. She doesn't want anything else though, even though I've held up a bit of all her fave things one at a time and tried to tempt her.

I'll give her some more metacam at 12.

My biggest worry is that she's straining on her litter tray - is that normal after a spay?

If you are in any way concerned I would call your vet for advice. At very least they will reassure you that she's recovering normally.

We too found Maisey was very sleepy after her spay but she did eat tit-bits handed to her and she ate by herself the day after the op. She pooed and had no probs weeing.

I hope Daisy is ok.

Daisy has just had a small wee, so I will leave her alone for a bit and call the vets later on if she continues straining.

Bit worried - Daisy isn't eating or drinking really, just a very few leaves of mint and oregano and a tiny sip of water after i held it under her nose for a few mins.

She has moved about a bit, hopped to her litter tray and has done a few tiny poos this morning, but it looked like she was straining to go, and no wee today that I could see.

I've given her a bit of metacam, even though she wasn't due to have it until 12, but it really seems as though she's in pain.

Any advice?

Hi Star went back to the vets for 3 or 4 days after her spray and had pain relief every time. It has taken her a good week to get back to normal. The first few days, she didn't eat or drink much - but I found he best way was to sit with her and keep waving it under her nose!

Hi Star went back to the vets for 3 or 4 days after her spray and had pain relief every time. It has taken her a good week to get back to normal. The first few days, she didn't eat or drink much - but I found he best way was to sit with her and keep waving it under her nose!

Thanks :wave: Been trying to tempt Daisy with parsley, but she's not interested at the moment. She's gone off into her bedroom bit of her hutch, so I'm taking that as a 'go away mummy' sign.

Will give her more metacam at 12, hopefully perk up her appetite a bit.

My foster bun Rosie was incredibly thirsty after her spay but wasn't comfortable moving to get to her bowl. Once I put it in head reach she drank a LOT - sounds like Daisy is moving round though and can get to her water fine.

Thanks :wave: Been trying to tempt Daisy with parsley, but she's not interested at the moment. She's gone off into her bedroom bit of her hutch, so I'm taking that as a 'go away mummy' sign.

Will give her more metacam at 12, hopefully perk up her appetite a bit.

I tried everything and it was the kale that done it for Star in the end! Kale & herbs were all she was eating for a day or two afterwards and then she started back on other veggies like cue, greens etc. She didn't eat pellets for 3/4 days afterwards .... but is all back to 'normal' now (her spray was last Mon).

sending some 'eat well' vibes to you!

I've come down this morning to find Daisy's litter tray full of diarrohea :(

She started eating hay again last night before I went to bed, so I was hopeful she was feeling a lot better.

Her diet yesterday was basically dandelion leaves, lots of mint leaves, a few treats ... is this enough to have caused the diarrohea? Or is it possibly a reaction to the metacam?

Does she need to go to the vets?

Also, as far as I can tell she still hasn't drank anything (other than two tiny sips of water yesterday) and knocks her water bowl aside when I try to tempt her to drink.

Advice please.

Back