• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and bunnys?

louise1

Mama Doe
If u have as house bun and a puppy ( not me so dont worry) is there any type of dogs that dont get on with rabbits apart from the obvious??

I'd say it depends on the dog... Puppies are normally easier to get used to other animals.
I know someone who has 2 dalmations and had a rabbit, and they'd run about together. The dogs loved the rabbit 100% and the rabbit was in charge. Only one of them was a puppy when they got the bunny too.

my friend has a house bunny and her partner wants a japense akita puppy but shes to scared to introduce them i said maybe through the cage bars etc u could see how the pup reacts before actually letting them meet etc

I think any dog could potentially get along with rabbits with the right training, boundaries, patience etc. Dont think it is down to particular breeds, I have a staffy that gets on well with my rabbit, but i would never leave them alone together :)

ETA i have had my dog since she was a puppy:)

hiya,
i also have two staffs who get on well with my bunnys..
infact buster(dog) and blue (rabbit)chase each other around the garden.and snowball (rabbit)loves to sunbathe with jazz(dog)..
xx

I used to have a house rabbit who lived 'free range' with my German Shepherd and Border Collie. They all loved each other - in fact the Shepherd was a bit frightened of the rabbit (who definitely ruled the roost).

With the right training and a patient owner, any dog should be able to get along with a rabbit (as long as it's not an ex-racing greyhound or a terrier that's been used to catch rabbits of course!)

I think you just know yourself wether you trust your dog with rabbits, and it also comes down to letting them meet when young. 1 of my dogs is fantastic with the bunnies, the other 2 are just too excitable in their nature.

I think it depends on the individual dog. Our dog, Poppa, was here before we had our bunnies, yet i could trust her 100% with any of them. When Ronnie was a house bun, he was free range 24/7 and it never caused any problems - infact, he ruled the dog :? xXx

I've got two Golden Retrievers that get on great with my bunnies. They were a little too playful at first but once they'd calmed downed and I introduced them properly they were fine.

I have two terriers and under NO circumstances do they go near the bunnies!!! It is easier if the rabbit is there first then you introduce the dog but with the right dog i think it could work. The larger docile dogs would be easier. My dogs (aged 9 and 3) are just a lost cause where buns are concerned. The only time they have ever seen them is at my grandparents farm when they went of fto play in the woods and fields and returned with wildies in their mouths so we have extremely tight security!!

I agree with what the others have said. It just depends on the dog and training etc to introduce them to the bunnies.
My Xwhippet Penny is fine with the bunnies where as Barney my Springer is more excitable. Ive introduced him on a slower basis to the bunnies and now he is relaxed around them and also the bunny i have in the house at the moment. He now respects the buns and doesnt try to chase them which is great as in his previous home he was encouraged to chase bunnies

Back