• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbit illnesses more prevalent now ???

Doghouse135

Mama Doe
This is just a question and I'm not intending causing any controversy but I'm a little confused.

About 20 years ago, I had lots of bunnies - not as many as some of you but it was quite a few to me - about 9 or so

Anyway, I wasn't as clued up then as I am now and although they always had stacks of hay, they were fed a muesli type rabbit mix and none of them were vaccinated.

The reason I'm stumped is because they were never ill - I didn't have one instance of stasis, myxi, syphilis or EC etc. The only problem I encountered was one of my Dutch buns had a runny tum every so often if she had veggies - easily remedied by diet.

Now my question is - was I just very very lucky cos all my bunsters lived to a fine old age or do you think that illnesses/diseases for buns are becoming more prevalent and if so, why ??

Probably a bit of both... luck and also the fact that I do think we sometimes do too much these days with loading our pets with chemicals like vaccinations, flea treatment, worming etc. That's the reason why my rabbits only get the minimum chemical intervention that is absolutely necessary. I must admit, my bunnies don't really get GI problems, unless it is caused by an underlying problem (dental, respiratory problems etc).

They are now getting treated for fleas because a couple of them had fleas, but I wouldn't ever worm or de-flea them as a routine. I also let them have the initial vaccinations and they are not re-vaccinated after that... (though we do live in the city without wild rabbits in the area and with all of my bunnies being house rabbits - so it is a lower risk).

I can't actually remember the last unexplained GI stasis in my bunnies... it has virtually always been as a result of another serious illness!

Also, my bunnies don't get any treats at all, they just get A&P pellets, veg and lots of hay... I do feel that giving treats and stuff for animals like rabbits that are designed for a very bland, "boring" diet does not do them any favours.

Just my thoughts though... I'm looking forward to hear from others what their opinions are on the subject.

Vera

PS. Of course, in the older days, people were also much more prepared to put an animal to sleep as soon as they got ill (though I am sure that you didn't and neither did I in those days), so there may not have been as many sick rabbits around because of that either.

Mmm - interesting.

I wonder if buns were 'hardier' back then and less so today due to 'overbreeding'

Don't know if I'm using the right terminology but I know what I mean :?

That's is a very good question. I had a dutch when I was about 15 fed frosties as treats (I know), museli, and all sorts of rubbish and she lived until about 5 years and the only time I needed to take her to the vets was when she had snuffles.

Years ago, when I was 6 (so about 29 years ago) I had a rabbit, and he lived to the ripe old age of 18. He was never vaccinated, lived in the garden come rain wind or shine, he was never ill, never needed the vets.

I think, like many things, chemical intervention, being over cautious etc, can cause more harm in the long run. Of course, I may just have been lucky, but if you look at life today for humans, there are many more diseases around now because we understand more and know more...so all in all....hard to tell really!

I agree about the over vaccination etc. I only have initial puppy vaccs done on my dogs and then nothing else because I strongly believe in immunity for life. BUT then I go against that belief because I have my buns vaccinated every six months for myxi and every year for VHD. Plus I worm them regularly. However, I do question this. If it's been proved that immunity lasts for at least three years plus in dogs, why does it not do so in rabbits? Or is it simply a case of the drugs only having been tested for a twelve month period so the drug companies can't guarantee immunity for longer than that? If it was easy to have the bunnies titre-tested, I would do so.

I strongly believe over-vaccination and a modern, processed diet causes all sorts of problems in dogs, which is why mine have a raw bone diet and only one set of jabs. There just wasn't the amount of skin disease and cancers in dogs years ago that there is now.

If myxi wasn't so widespread and deadly, I'd seriouly consider not vaccinating my buns again. However, if you want to board your animals anywhere, they have to have up to date vaccinations so you're a bit stuck.

Also people remember stuff that happened when they were children through rose tinted glasses.

Children don't have as much concept of time as an adult, and although it might have seemed that your childhood pet lived for ages, it probably wasn't as long as you remember

Also people remember stuff that happened when they were children through rose tinted glasses.

Children don't have as much concept of time as an adult, and although it might have seemed that your childhood pet lived for ages, it probably wasn't as long as you remember

Good point and probably very true!

I have 9 bunnies at the minute, and none of them are vaccinated. I was thinking am i really lucky because out of these 9 bunnies, and bunnies I previously owned none of them were vaccinated yet i've only lost one to stasis, and all the rest lived to ripe old ages and were never ill.

I had a bunny called Dusti as a teenager who lived with a guinea pig (I know wouldnt do it now) outside. He had free range of the garden all day while we were all out (again wouldnt do it now) and lived to be 7, unneutered.

He wasnt fed hay at all as he wouldnt eat it, he ate a rabbit mix which he used to pick at, carrots and grapes. Plus cream crackers and cereals as treats.

His incisors grew at an angle so he had to have them out and he had an absess which he fought and got better from.

He was never in stasis, and never had his molars checked. The only time he ever saw a vet was for his front teeth and his absess. When he died we assumed it was old age and just buried him in the garden.

Thank you for the compliment but I was 20, 20 years ago !!! If that makes sense so I wasn't a child :oops:

I also raw feed my dogs and don't get them vaccinated unless I really have to (kennels etc) especially following the RCVS view on vaccs only being necessary every 3 years - can anyone find a vet that actually agrees with this - or an insurance company or kennel facilities ??

Anyway I digress, hopefully my two new bunnies will be as healthy as my oldies were - Lets keep everything crossed eh ;)

I agree about the over vaccination etc. I only have initial puppy vaccs done on my dogs and then nothing else because I strongly believe in immunity for life. BUT then I go against that belief because I have my buns vaccinated every six months for myxi and every year for VHD. Plus I worm them regularly. However, I do question this. If it's been proved that immunity lasts for at least three years plus in dogs, why does it not do so in rabbits? Or is it simply a case of the drugs only having been tested for a twelve month period so the drug companies can't guarantee immunity for longer than that? If it was easy to have the bunnies titre-tested, I would do so.

That's exactely the case... It's proving the immunity for a certain period of time which is the issue. It has been proven for three years in dogs, but then the test stopped because it is so expensive (and probably not much fun for the dogs either) to keep a number of dogs completely isolated for that length of time. Two of our dogs are titre tested yearly and it'll be interesting to see how long their immunity lasts.

If myxi wasn't so widespread and deadly, I'd seriouly consider not vaccinating my buns again. However, if you want to board your animals anywhere, they have to have up to date vaccinations so you're a bit stuck.
I have made the controversial decision to only vaccinated my rabbits when I first get them and then never again. I seem to have pretty healthy bunnies overall, so perhaps that's the reason why?

Vera

I also raw feed my dogs and don't get them vaccinated unless I really have to (kennels etc) especially following the RCVS view on vaccs only being necessary every 3 years - can anyone find a vet that actually agrees with this - or an insurance company or kennel facilities ??
All vets should agree with this, they have to, with Duramune vaccines, it is now the manufacturer's recommendation and the protocol should be followed by all vets! Mine certainly does, and he also has no problem to titre test my dogs on request and only vaccinated as and when (so far, only yearly lepto needed as for the others immunity is good).

The kennels I use at college where my dogs go a couple of times a year also accept the titre test accompanied by a letter why our dogs are not vaccinated.

Most insurance companies will not cover against illnesses that could have been prevented by vaccinations, however, they should accept the three year protocol too as this is the manufacturer's recommendation!

Vera

Back