• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey and her wee - help please

Hello
Honey has produced a small amount of white wee (i think) for the last 4 nights/mornings.
I think it is wee and not poo, but not completely sure.
It looks a bit like toothpaste and is about an inch in size, and it is just the 1 lot that I find in the morning.

Can anyone tell me please what is causing it please.
She finished a 9 day course of panacur last wednesday, could this have anything to do with it?

Here are a couple of photos to show you.........

POO2.jpg

POO1.jpg

Thanks

It's a sign her diet contains too much calcium, which could predispose her to bladder stones/ sludge or kidney calcification. What does she eat at the moment?

Thank You for the prompt response.

She has unlimited Hay and a few pellets in the morning and a few more at night.

Maybe I'll just cut out some of the pellets and see if that helps.

Can I increase her veg? She has a leaf of spring green a couple of times a week.
She always seems so hungry.

Thank You for the prompt response.

She has unlimited Hay and a few pellets in the morning and a few more at night.

Maybe I'll just cut out some of the pellets and see if that helps.

Can I increase her veg? She has a leaf of spring green a couple of times a week.
She always seems so hungry.
A good pellet should have the right calcium balance. Which ones is she on?
Some veg is high in calcium: Dark green ones such as kale and spinach are the usual culprits.
Also some hay is higher in calcium than others such as alfalfa and readigrass (i think). Which hay do you feed?
It is also important to make sure she gets enough water :)

Dandelions are high in calcium but as a diuretic they would be beneficial to her (in moderation).

Greens would be good at they would increase the water intake but as Lilbun says avoid kale and spinich (and parsley, watercress).

Grass is the best green to give though as it has the right amount of calcium, fibre etc.

Thank you all

She has Beaphar Extra-Vital pellets, which are supposed to be really good.
She has Hay from our local farm. Both soft and Stalky.She has been having this for about 2 months now and no problems until now.
She has at least a whole bowl of water a day.
And I only give her spring greens (about 1 leaf) couple of times a week.

I did let her try some grass a few days ago, but only a little as she has not had it before.

So if I decrease the pellets a bit, and increase the veg/grass and introduce some dandelions, do you think this may help?
It seems strange that it has only just started to happen and nothing has changed.:?:?

I don't know what the calcium content of beaphar pellets is i'm afraid: it should say on the bag though. Some of the new senior pellets such as Ss mature have reduced calcium so you could consider gradually switching to see if it helps.
If passing urine becomes difficult or she seems unwell she will need to see a vet urgently x

I don't know what the calcium content of beaphar pellets is i'm afraid: it should say on the bag though. Some of the new senior pellets such as Ss mature have reduced calcium so you could consider gradually switching to see if it helps.
If passing urine becomes difficult or she seems unwell she will need to see a vet urgently x

Thank You.
I'll check out the contents on the bag.
She seems fine in herself and it doesn't seem to affect her behaviour. I just don't want any problems internally.
I'll adjust the amount of pellets and increase her greens and grass a little.

Thumper had this a few months back and i reduced pellets to a bare minimum, increased veg and gave a bowl of boiled, cooled water with a dash of peppermint tea or pineapple juice and he was back to normal in a few days :D

Hope shes ok, sending vibes xx

Thumper had this a few months back and i reduced pellets to a bare minimum, increased veg and gave a bowl of boiled, cooled water with a dash of peppermint tea or pineapple juice and he was back to normal in a few days :D

Hope shes ok, sending vibes xx

Thank you.
I am going to cut down pellets (although I feed her much less than it suggests on the bag) and start to increase veg gradually.
Her intake of hay seems to be good, but hopefully she'll eat more of that if I cut down pellets.

Thanks all again

Back