• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

omg! am i a bad owner?

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
so a little over 2 weeks now nala had to have her toe amputated and now i have been told she has to go under GA again to get a bite wound cut out of her shoulder becauase its that bad! i dont have any other rabbits so it can only have been from a rodent getting into her run and attacking her thing is she has not been out since her toe accident so she has had the wound there hurting her for over 2 weeks!

am i a bad owner i thought the toe accident was from her catching it in the run but now i think she has been attacked by some rat or something and then for me not to realise she had a bite till this late on i feel cruel.

i just feel so awfull and feel like im having no luck at all with her.

also can rats even fit into little mesh holes?? the vet swears it has to be a rodent attacking her but i just dont no:(:(

You are not a bad owner if you are getting her treatment as soon as you notice anything is wrong . It does sound like something is getting to her , get some rat traps and put them down at the front of her cage . I have had to do this once when a rat took up residence under one of my hutches , i put peanut butter on the trap and the next morning it was dead . I know mose peaple have to keep trying because it can take some time to catch one but i would not rest till it was dead and not getting into my shed or hutches ;) . I hope your rabbit will be ok x

rodents can get in to any hole big enough to get their teeth and little heads through.

My brother had a similar problem as he hutch like ours has fox proof grids.

His solution was to staple close mesh chicken wire to the outside on the downstairs doors. No problems since.

You cant keep an eye on the poor thing 24/7

Sorry to hear Nala has been attacked by something :( It doesn't make you a bad owner though hun. How is she doing now? Has she had her op? Could you put extra wire on her run? I am putting it on both sides of the wood to my runs and have brought it as small as possible x

You are not a bad owner if you are getting her treatment as soon as you notice anything is wrong . It does sound like something is getting to her , get some rat traps and put them down at the front of her cage . I have had to do this once when a rat took up residence under one of my hutches , i put peanut butter on the trap and the next morning it was dead . I know mose peaple have to keep trying because it can take some time to catch one but i would not rest till it was dead and not getting into my shed or hutches ;) . I hope your rabbit will be ok x

Having removed several dead rats at various stages of decay from under the hutch (didn't use the hutch/run over winter so I assume they perished from the very cold winter weather this year) I can only agree with the above - Get rid. Get rid quickly. Kill the ones with rat traps (don't use poison) and then make sure the whole run is secure.

I had no idea how they were getting in the run and under the hutch as the square meshing on the run is very fine and the holes are only 1cm x 1cm ...... until I looked right at the back in the long grass and found a tiny little hole the rats had dug underneath the wood (and the wood is sunk 2 inches into the soil) They are persistant little buggars :evil:

But no, you are not a bad bunny owner as long as you do something about it now you know something's going on. That makes you a good bunny owner :)

thanks all for making me feel abit better about the situation

she was fine after op everything went well returned to eating streight away but then this morning woke up to find her stitches ripped out so they have re stitched her and put a cone on her head she looks hilareouse and isnt amused at all by it lol

but if it stops her ripping them out ill do anything.

i think im only going to let her in garden when i am there now as she is a house bun but i used to leave her out in her run whilst i went to sort my horses out cos its all enclosed so nothing can get in (or at least i thought so) but never mind at least she is on the mend £450 later lol

glad my mam paid hehe

Back