• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post mortems

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I found my bun Abby dead this morning...she was in a funny position like she'd had a fit or something :(

She was totally fine yesterday, and has had very few health problems in her life except for needing her molars trimmed every couple of weeks. The only recent change was that her litter tray habits had become slightly worse recently, although they weren't exactly great to start with. She and her partner Dominic were on a course of Panacur.

I asked the vet about post mortems, but apparently they only test for VHD (she was vaccinated Oct. 2008 ), pneumonia (not contagious) and coccidiosis. And the results take at least 2-3 weeks to come back :shock:

I'm not really sure whether it's worth doing or not :?

I found my bun Abby dead this morning...she was in a funny position like she'd had a fit or something :(

She was totally fine yesterday, and has had very few health problems in her life except for needing her molars trimmed every couple of weeks. The only recent change was that her litter tray habits had become slightly worse recently, although they weren't exactly great to start with. She and her partner Dominic were on a course of Panacur.

I asked the vet about post mortems, but apparently they only test for VHD (she was vaccinated Oct. 2008 ), pneumonia (not contagious) and coccidiosis. And the results take at least 2-3 weeks to come back :shock:

I'm not really sure whether it's worth doing or not :?

Oh Amy :cry: :cry:

Personally I always have a PM done as in a multi-Rabbit household I feel its essential. It also might provide an answer as to 'why' although that's not always a guarantee.

The Vet could look at her heart/lungs/Liver/Kidneys/GI tract for any obvious signs of disease. Even without samples being sent off a basic PM can sometimes bring some answers.

I am really sorry Amy

:cry: :cry:

Oh Amy :cry: :cry:

Personally I always have a PM done as in a multi-Rabbit household I feel its essential. It also might provide an answer as to 'why' although that's not always a guarantee.

The Vet could look at her heart/lungs/Liver/Kidneys/GI tract for any obvious signs of disease. Even without samples being sent off a basic PM can sometimes bring some answers.

I am really sorry Amy

:cry: :cry:

My vet won't do it on site. I wish they would at least open her up and have a look, but they will only send her off to a lab :(

The thing I'm really worried about is coccidiosis due to the fact that I have so many buns here. Could a bun with totally normal faecal output and no signs of illness have coccidosis?

awww hun im so sorry.... :cry::cry:

i had one done on my cat because i needed to know why, i did get some comfort from the fact we did nothing wrong and for a cat his size it was a miracle he lived as long as he did (6 years)

i think for piece of mind it would be worth doing if you can take the idea of your little baby going under the knife xxxxx

I am so sorry you have lost Abby.

We decided not to do a post mortem when we lost Graham as the vet was sure it was nothing contagious but it might have helped us with knowing more about what actually happened to him.

So sorry you lost your bunny. What a shock for you :cry:
Could you maybe find another vet in the area to do the P.M.? I won't bring her back but it might give you some answers.

Sorry to hear about Abby. :( Not sure what to suggest regarding the P.M., but for some things it need to be done very soon after death, I think.

Oh no Amy, I am really sorry :(, I have had a pm before now but they never really show up an awful lot.

I've had a couple of pm's done before and they have not given us any concrete answers so were not really worth the time.

So sorry about Abby. Binky free.x

Back