• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jazz update :(

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Been to the vets this morning to find out about his wonky face, the vet says he has puss in one of his ears caused by pasturella (sp) but with out the sneezing :( She made it sound awful saying that the puss can spread to vital organs and cause bone abcess's.... He has had an injection of Amoxycare and has got ear drops he is going back for antoher injetion on thursday and another for saturday... Gutted is an understatment... this could kill him and I feel really bad :cry::cry:

How much at risk is Gizmo and Jack? even though Jack lives on his own. Im so scared :cry:

I wouldn't have said the chnces of them developing the same complications are all that high. Many of my Pasteurella buns have lived with others who never displayed any symptoms.

Sending (((vibes))).

Just done some resarch and there appears to me no cure? Shall I be prepared to have him pts in the near future? or is it somehting they can live with.

I know some can live with it but it really depends on yourself and what kind of quality of life you feel they are having. You know him best so you are the best person to judge what to do about him.

Just done some resarch and there appears to me no cure? Shall I be prepared to have him pts in the near future? or is it somehting they can live with.

I thought what he essentially had was an ear infection? Is there something else bothering him too?

Ear infections can be hard to treat but are not necessarily a death sentance, especially as he isn't showing other symptoms such as torticollis (unless I missed that bit). Also your vet hasn't said it has spread, just that it might, and obviously now he is on treatment that could be nipped in the bud. :)

She said his ear is full of puss caused by pasturella and he has little scabs on his face. has sneezed a couple of times but ot as much as other buns with the same.

She said his ear is full of puss caused by pasturella and he has little scabs on his face. has sneezed a couple of times but ot as much as other buns with the same.

Lexie had an ear infection & chronic snuffles plus Bell's Palsy and a retrobulbar abcess (when she was 1....3 years before I got her) and she is still here and perfectly happy. It's not a death sentance at this stage so don't think of it as such.

Pasteurella manifests in so many diffrent forms that when you research your rabbits condition you have to be more specific than just looking up 'Pasteurella', or you'll scare yourself to death. :)

Ok, it was just the vet's response was like 'well I hope we can sort it' but her face was like 'probably not' If you see what I mean and what I was told scared me :(

Are the scabs definitely scabs? It's just that buns tend to have hard lumps of crud from glands stuck to their face around the base of the hairs...so *might* not be connected to the pasteurella

Good luck

hey jazz, i've just come to deal with pasturella myself in Ralph. my vet scared me too and told me not to put him with other rabbits but with the advice from everyone on here and the rescue centre i got him from i'm gonna go ahead and bond him with petal. i hope you get him sorted and better. my girls don't seem to be showing an syptoms and it's been two weeks now. sending loads of vibes.

Oh bless him :(, I think vets sometimes paint things out to be worse so as not to give false hope.

Back