• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grooming a lionhead Rabbit!

laurafoz

Warren Scout
This is my first post on here! I have just adopted a 3 year old Lionhead bunny, Simba!

I am finding new matts by the day, they seem to only be tiny ones and he came from a good home but I am worried a slicker brush is not the right brush for the job! Anyone out there also mummy to a lionhead with any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Lola has a fiar bit of fuzz around her neck. The best thing I have found to get the knots out is a nit comb!

This is what I use on my beautiful lionheads! The matting fur should become less of a problem after about 6 months as your bunny becomes an adult, he will molt out a lot of the wool fur that creates mats easily and you'll be left with a silky coat! Ensure you check the inside of the back legs for mats as this area is hard to get to it is often overlooked and a haven for flies to lay their eggs :?
Let me know if you need any other advice regarding your little boy, I am mummy to a girl and boy lionhead who are very much in love! x

For my lionhead Eddison, I use a flea comb. I comb him about twice a week, unless he is molting. (Mostly because he hates being combed!)

Mine looks something like this:

http://www.doggonegoodstuff.com/Pictures/masterfleacomb.jpg

I just try hold the brush flat against his body and comb down. It works a lot better than if you were to hold it up vertical to the bun. It pulls out a lot of fur underneath his top coat. Works great for me. :)

i just use a soft brush on ted's fur, i brush her everyday and use my fingers when petting her to tease out any knots. she seems pretty good but just check their bum on a regular bases as ted always gets wee taughts round her private area which i just trim off.

thanks lionhead lover!

Thanks to LIONHEAD LOVER and everyone else who has given me some fine advice on grooming my Simba! he loves being groomed!

I always find it helpful to hold the matt in the middle and comb it out from the end slowly working my way to the base of the fur. This way you get the tangle out with as little of the attached fur coming out as possible.:wave:

Back