• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it rabbits?

I noticed on my way home that loads of youngish trees by the dual carriageway have had the bark stripped from the ground up to about rabbit height :)lol:) Just wondered if the rabbits might be doing this?

Don't know about rabbits but Norwegian hares eat bark and twigs in the winter when there is no grass so I guess there's a possibility (my bunnies eat twigs too:lol:)

Could be a small deer? Or maybe badgers? Could a rabbit do that though? Completely strip the bark off the tree.

LOL!! I think apple trees are different, they're addictive! The are trees like silver birch etc, I might try and get some pics but think I might get run over in the process! I hadn't thought of deer although I had to go round a body getting on the road :cry::cry:

I've baked apple tree branches for chinchillas before, they do make the kitchen smell yummy so I can kinda see the appeal :oops: :lol:

I work in the grounds of an old country house and when we had all the snow in January/February, the rabbits stripped almost every tree there was up to rabbit height - simply because they couldn't get at any other food. I felt soooo bad when I realised this is what they had done - I would have taken hay in for them and left it dotted around the place in strategic places!

Back