• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new rabbit - advice please

Septanest

Young Bun
Hi
I have had a British giant buck rabbit since Saturday. He is 8 weeks old. He allows me to pick him up without too much trouble. Once I position him against my chest or on my knee, he will stay with me without struggling for a reasonable amount of time (30 mins). In these positions, he hardly moves at all. He does exactly the same when he is with my boyfriend.

We are not sure if he stays so still because he loves being with us and likes the attention or because he so afraid he is too frightened to move!

Of course, we would love jack to enjoy being cuddled. He seems to be generally happy. He lies out in his hutch - which I understand is a sign of contentment. He has a variety of toys that he likes playing with. He is an absolute joy.....I am really anxious to know that he is happy.

I am a rabbit novice and any advice would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Jill

Him lieing out in the hutch is indeed content. :D

When he's on your lap, is he wide-eyed, or is his eyes quite relaxed? What about the ears, are they upright, or quite relaxed? You can tell a lot from their body language, if they look and feel tense, then they are probably scared.

Thank you for your reply. When we are holding him, he does remain alert. Eyes open & ears up. He seems keen to explore our faces when he is against the chest.

He does seem happy.....it just seems odd that after such a short amount of time with us, he will sit with us without struggling at all.

Back