• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

newborn rabbits need help

jakey

New Kit
hey my rabbit has just had a litter of 6 babies she has made a nest for them was just wundering what to look out for and any tips you have on how to care for them this is the first time for us also 1 of th babies is black whilst the other are a bright pink is there a reason behind this thanks jake

I have never reared kits before so hopefully someone with some advice will be along soon. For now you need to make sure they are all inside the nest and are well covered.

The black and pink I believe is colour, pink = lighter coat/white, black = black/darker coat.

Is the male still in with the female? If so, unfortantely, she may well be pregnant again. :( Someone with better advice will be along shortly.

hi thanks for that no male was removed before she gave birth thank god glad about the colouring as i fort there was something rong with the lil one

You need to check the nest regularly for any dead kits and remove them.Otherwise make sure mum has plenty of food and water and leave well alone.Good luck:wave::wave::wave::wave:

hey maizey thanks for that have been researching on the internet and are in two minds wether i am able to hold the babys and touch them to make sure they are all ok thanks

hiya,
you need to check the kits(babys) every day to make sure mommas feeding them,and remove any dead kits ,they should feel warm and have full round bellys.momma will usually only go in 1-2 times(and usually at night time)for feeding.make sure after you have checked them you return them and recover.make sure you use both hand when you pick them up because they have a tendency to just jump up at any time.
give mum extra water.hay.food n veggies.
the kits can hear after 5 days and will open there eyes between 10-12 days.
they start moving about around 2weeks old.at around three weeks they will start coming out of the nest area and try small amounts of hay..from 4 weeks its best to give mum an hour at least break a day.i usually put her in the run next to the babys so she can have a rest but still see them..and them her.
they must stay with her for at least 8 weeks..
i would say after 8 weeks seperate them from mum .
i am not a breeder or an expert..just a rabbit owner who loves her bunnys..i have had 1st hand experience with two litters.
good luck !dee

Don't let Mum see you go in the nest and rub your hands through her toilet area (yucky I know) so that you don't leave your scent on them when you handle the babies. It is preferable to leave them alone for the first 24 hours I believe...just make sure they havn't ventured out of the nest. :)

Whether the mom minds you going into the nest or not completely depends on the rabbit.
I've picked up newborn bunnies with their mothers watching sometimes, and so far one has bitten before I even got that far:roll: So I took her out of the hutch a bit, checked on the babies and she went back to caring for them afterwards:3 (True this female did have a habit of chasing her kits around as they got around 6 weeks:shock:)

Back