• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet shop / garden centre :(

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
Saw for the first time what happens at garden centres
I was in there buying tomato plants on the way out in the car for a trip and saw they had bunnies - I was looking at them soo small and cute - definitely not 8 weeks - theyre tiny and a gawky teenager about 18 came in with some docile blone lump of lard and a cat carrier. He saw the girl on the till and she sed something like oh right - opened the carrier took 6 bunnies out (it was tiny so they must have all been squashed in there) and 'sexed' them and out them in the pens for sale. they wereent checked over or quarenteened - at least pets at home do that!!!! then gave the gawks £80- £100

:(:(:(

In pets at home yesterday was having beaus picture taken and they had a gorgeous little lop....i was tempted but walked out.

This has made my mind up!!!! its sooooo wrong

those poor bunnies

an the poor bunnies in there who just had other buns dumped on them :(:(

I believe this happens quite often. In the pet shop I used to work at, none of the animals were quarantined when they arrived unless they were showing signs of illness. Also, some of them were sold on the same day as they arrived. I remember one puppy was brought on the lorry for however many hours in the morning into a pen, and a few hours later, was brought and taken home in a car. How stressful must that be for the poor puppy. :cry:

I went into a garden centre near me yesterday that sell bunnies and was pleased to see that they dont let you take one home the same day. You have to reserve on and then come later if you still want it. They say it stops people impulse buying.

Another example of why I don't shop in garden centres that sell livestock in their pet section - there's plenty of good ones around that just sell pet stuff without the animals.

I was in a new garden centre the other day that is part of a pick-your-own farm.vHoned in on hte pet section and they must have thought I was weird having a good nose round at nothing in particular (I was sussing out whether they sell livestock - they don't).

Another example of why I don't shop in garden centres that sell livestock in their pet section - there's plenty of good ones around that just sell pet stuff without the animals.

I was in a new garden centre the other day that is part of a pick-your-own farm.vHoned in on hte pet section and they must have thought I was weird having a good nose round at nothing in particular (I was sussing out whether they sell livestock - they don't).

You are as bad as me, we have a garden centre within walking distance from my house, which used to sell guineas, rabbits, hamsters and mice. I believe that they have not stopped selling rabbits however have no checked this out. I drive down the M3 to a lovely garden centre near you and Helen for my supplies. the reason being that they dont have animals :D

I shop at the local allotment association cos all the gardencentres round here sell pets (cept peter barrats so good for them!!)

Our Garden Centre does quarantine new rabbits. They are always such a draw to me - soooo cute. The rabbits are the reason I like to go there. Love watching and talking to them.

Back