• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help -something is up with Roger!

Sandra

Warren Scout
I went in to give the buns some afternoon food 20 min ago and Roger is not his usual self. Roger is a 2,5 year old mini loop, living with his rex wife. He is normally very active and comes running when it is food time. I last checked on them 2 hours ago and gave them some baby carrots and all was fine.

I came in to find Roger laying in a corner under a chair on a blanket. He laid while I was filling up their food and he didnt move. I thought it was weird so I offered him some veggies which he did not want. I also tried with his favorite nuts. No response at all. I tried to get him to move but he didnt get up and I could simply push him around... I managed to push him up and he jumped away from me just to lay down again. His head doesnt tilt and he seems to be able to jump normally and his stomach isnt hard. But he doesnt seem comfortable at all. He lays on the blanket, gets up and digs in the blanket a little, lays down, and then repeats it all over... I sprayed him with some water in case he was hot but he just laid there.. Usually he hates the water spray..

Any ideas what this can be??

Thanks,
very worried bunny mom... :(

It sounds like he's got tummy pain: could be stasis, gas or could even be the start of bloat. He needs to see a vet today by the sounds of it x

Ok Sandra. It sounds as though he is in pain. It's never a good sign if a bun refuses his food and is reluctant to move around. If this was my rabbit I'd be on my way to a vet. Arrange to get him to a vet asap. Meanwhile try some very gentle tummy rubs and see if he will drink some tepid water.

OK, our regular vet here in Amman has closed for the day so will try to find someone who is open. I am a bit scared since most vets here have no idea about rabbits...:shock:

What I have at home is: Science recovery, bio-lapis, professional (Protexin) and pain killers (Canidryl) which I got from my vet in Iceland before we left...

Should I start him on anything?

OK, our regular vet here in Amman has closed for the day so will try to find someone who is open. I am a bit scared since most vets here have no idea about rabbits...:shock:

What I have at home is: Science recovery, bio-lapis, professional (Protexin) and pain killers (Canidryl) which I got from my vet in Iceland before we left...

Should I start him on anything?

I wouldn't syringe anything until you've seen a vet: could make things worse if it's bloat or an obstruction

HI, agree with Lilibun - don't try to feed as it could be an obstruction which can make things worse. Try to encourage some fluid intake until you can get him to a vet. He does really need to see a vet.

Sending him some vibes. I hope he will be OK.

We found a vet that will see us asap!

What should we ask him to check? How do we know if it is an obstruction?

We have to prepare for that the vet knows nothing about this... and we have found that some vets even lie here if they dont know what it is as they dont want to seem incompetent...

He should check for stomach sounds and feel the bun's abdomen. He should give a painkiller as standard and a gut stimulant to get things moving. Fingers and everything else crossed for you. Sending vibes for your poorly bunster.

We found a vet that will see us asap!

What should we ask him to check? How do we know if it is an obstruction?

We have to prepare for that the vet knows nothing about this... and we have found that some vets even lie here if they dont know what it is as they dont want to seem incompetent...

He should really check the bun's temperature, have a look in his mouth, have a feel of his tummy for gas/lumps/impactions and palpate the bladder for sludge/stones

OK, we are back from the vet! The vet checked his eyes, his mouth and teeth, and took his temperature (no fever). He listened to his stomach and lungs. Vet said he heard a harsh sound from the lungs... He thought it was something systemic (?), not GI stasis. He gave him Baytril (Enrofloxacin) 0.3 ml twice a day for four days. No painkillers... Said he had to read up on what and how much to give until tomorrow.

Is this a likely diagnosis or? Roger jumped out of the kitchen and is now laying under the dining table. Still not eating.

:shock:A rabbit in pain won't eat no matter what other meds he's given, and if he continues to refuse food he'll only get worse... Did the vet say why she wouldn't give the painkiller? I'd ring back and ask why, and request that it is given now.

I told the vet that we have used metacam before when our girl bun got GI stasis after a dental exam but he said he was not sure and that he needed to check it and that he coudnt do that until tomorrow... I asked him several times about it and he did not want to give it... The painkillers I have at home is Canidryl which I got from my vet in Iceland in case buns would need it when we made to long travel to Jordan 6 weeks ago. Should I give him that? Roger is still laying down... not moving...

I told the vet that we have used metacam before when our girl bun got GI stasis after a dental exam but he said he was not sure and that he needed to check it and that he coudnt do that until tomorrow... I asked him several times about it and he did not want to give it... The painkillers I have at home is Canidryl which I got from my vet in Iceland in case buns would need it when we made to long travel to Jordan 6 weeks ago. Should I give him that? Roger is still laying down... not moving...

I have PM'd you Sandra :)

Thanks for checking in on us Capel!

I syringed some water in him and I decided to give him the painkillers I had at home. He has now been cleaning himself a lot and sits up more than before. Still not moving much but at least not constantly repositioning himself as he was before. He has sniffed some pellets and banana but not eaten anything yet but he drank a little water on his own.

Fingers crossed! It will be a long night!

:shock: Are rabbits not popular pets in Iceland? It seems surprising that the vet would need to read up on something so basic as pain relief :? Did he not have any textbooks or internet at the surgery that he could have looked at there and then?
I hope your bun is feeling better now you've given him some meds xx

Hi Lilbun:wave: Sandra has moved from Iceland to Amman in Jordan, but fortunately her Icelandic vet gave her some meds to take with her.

Last edited:
Hi everyone:wave:

Roger is doing better:D

It was really weird last night. We gave him the painkillers around 11 pm our time. He came in the living room where we were sitting and laid down next to the sofa. I put some water close to him and a plate with some nuts, banana and parsley. I laid on the sofa with one hand on him just gently rubbing him, all of a sudden he took a nut and ate it. I gave him another one and pushed the plate of food closer to him and he started eating a bit :)love: - the most wonderful sight in the world). Then he wanted a rub which I gave him and he was purring like a mad man. Then he started jumping around the apartment like usual and went to the kitchen to eat some hay and go to the toilet! Both no 1 and no 2. It was like he got a bit hyper (like his usual self), he was playing with his wife, chinning stuff etc.

Around 4 am he laid down in the kitchen and pretty much stayed in the same spot until 8 this morning, not looking as uncomfortable as yesterday though. I got him to eat some parsley again this morning but I decided to give him painkillers again and he is now eating and drinking and jumping around. I will give him his antibiotics in a while.

I am though worried that we haven't addressed the underlying problem of the pain. Should we go back to the vet and try to get a better checkup? Or should we try to do what we are doing now?

Thanks for all your help - I don't know what I would do without this forum:p

Back