• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Rabbit Has Vestibular Syndrome! *UPDATE* - Been Put To Sleep :(

baobao

Young Bun
hey all,

Just want to let you guys know that my rabbit has Vestibular Syndrome. It all started when i just got back from my friends hosue about 2 hours and then i saw my rabbit lying down on its side in the cage. I picked him up to give him a cuddle and then i realised his eyes were twitching and he was quite floppy. I put him down on the floor and he was rolling about on its side. I tried helping him up to stand up properly but he just kept on falling.

It was the scariest thing i have seen in my life and i thought my rabbit was going to die in front of me. Luckily we have a 24 hour vet down the road from our house so we took him there at 3am. After the checkup the doctor told us that our rabbit has vestibular syndrome and it is treatable but not 100 % guaranteed.

On the way back home, me and my mum were pretty much silent throughout the whole journey. I was thinking if i was going to see my precious BaoBao again and if i did, would he be the same rabbit. The main thing i feel sad about is that he is only 4 years old and he has one leg amputated and a cataract in one of his eyes. But he is a lovely and playful rabbit who enjoys cuddles and we love him to bits.

Anyway, i should get a call tommorow to see if he is doing ok!

Any advice from you guys would be great :)

Either way i will keep you lot updated

rabbit.jpg

Last edited:
*UPDATE* DAY 1 (13 hours since start of treatment)

hey all,

just spoken to the vet and unfortunatley my baobao isnt showing any signs of improvement

we have to wait for another 3 hours to see if he improves. If not then the doctor would have to put him down cause of the stress he is in at the moment.

I am absolutley gutted atm and i kno this next 3 hours is going to be hell for me. What do you think i should do, should i try and convince the vetnerian to do another days worth of treatment?

ahhh... I dont know, either way I will keep you guys updated

Thanks!

Aaron

Well it seems very premature to be talking about PTS.
Any recovery from Vestibular Disease can take weeks, not days.

If Baobao is eating and pooing then personally I'd want to keep on with treatment. It would be better if you could have him at home if you could cope with the nursing care and medicating. It would be less stressful for him to be in his home environment.

Hi there,
My boy has head tilt, he first got it over a year ago.
He initially was lying down, any time he tried to get up he would roll continuously. He had nystygmus in his 'up' eye, his down eye was totally closed.
I had to feed him and give him water for weeks.
He took weeks and weeks to recover, alot of the time i felt like i should give up, but now one year later he is back to his usual self apart from the head tilt and a dodgy 'down' eye.
Obviously your vet and you know best, but just wanting to say that sometimes it takes a while for them to pull through and it definately would be worth the extra time.
Hope Baobao gets better, i know how your feeling right now, i was a wreck when kermit was ill!
Vibes for the wee man xx

yea but unfortunatley he has been on the drip all day and he has been force fed all day through the nose.... i am not sure about the pooping situation.

Either way i am going to speak to the vet in a bit and see if there are any alternatives. But it is nice to know that there are owners out there who have experienced the same situation and turned out ok in the end :)

keep u guys updated

Last edited:
I completely agree with Jane- treatment has only been going 13 hrs!!!!It can be a long slow process,with often 1 step forward 2 steps back,tell your vet you want togive him every chance,as long as he starts to eat,drink and poo I would keep going.My mum and dads bunny is in the same situation at the min so I know how upsetting it can be.Sending lots of vibes your way

I agree with Jack's Jane (she's usually right). I was advised to have Tippex Porkychicken PTS after a few hours: even though the emergency vet I saw didn't have a clue what was up! She went on to make a full recovery from her e.c. but it was 5 days before there was any improvement.
I hope your bun recovers x

UPDATE!!

Hey all,

we decided to put bao bao down since we all thought it was the best thing to do.

We asked the vetnerian if we could take him back home but she said that baoabao is in extreme condition, he had to be force fed, force hydrated with a drip and apprently baobao didnt like it watsoever.

It was quite sad at the time cause when we saw him today on the vetnerian table, he kept on rolling n breathing quite heavily. When i picked him up he was so calm in my arms and it was the most upsetting situation i have been in my whole life. Me n my mum were not too sure if we made the right decision to put him down. We did advice the vetnerian we could nurse him at home but apparently baobao wasnt getting any better and if he did he had to be force fed/drip which he doesnt like doing.

ahh... i dont know, i have never cried so much in my life. I just felt so bad when he was in my arms so calm n peacful while at the same time, the euthnasia was injected in to him. He died in my arms so suddenly

either way, thank you all for your help. I hope i have made the right decision, if not then dont worry about it, i already know he has had a good joyful life and we have loved him so much throughout the years

sorry for my poor grammar, i am just so gutted and tired

Aaron speaking behalf of BaoBao, for the last time. May 5th 2009

baobao.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE!!

Hey all,

we decided to put bao bao down since we all thought it was the best thing to do.

We asked the vetnerian if we could take him back home but she said that baoabao is in extreme condition, he had to be force fed, force hydrated with a drip and apprently baobao didnt like it watsoever.

It was quite sad at the time cause when we saw him today on the vetnerian table, he kept on rolling n breathing quite heavily. When i picked him up he was so calm in my arms and it was the most upsetting situation i have been in my whole life. Me n my mum were not too sure if we made the right decision to put him down. We did advice the vetnerian we could nurse him at home but apparently baobao wasnt getting any better and if he did he had to be force fed/drip which he doesnt like doing.

ahh... i dont know, i have never cried so much in my life. I just felt so bad when he was in my arms so calm n peacful while at the same time, the euthnasia was injected in to him. He died in my arms so suddenly

either way, thank you all for your help. I hope i have made the right decision, if not then dont worry about it, i already know he has had a good joyful life and we have loved him so much throughout the years

sorry for my poor grammar, i am just so gutted and tired

Aaron speaking behalf of BaoBao, for the last time. May 5th 2009

baobao.jpg

I am sorry for your loss
You, your Mum and the Vet are the only one's to make an informed decision as to what was the best thing to do for Baobao.
He is at peace now and in time you will remember not only the grief of losing him but also all the joy he bought you during his lifetime.

Binky Free Baobao

xx

As Jane has said only you, your mum & your vet can make an informed choice as to what was right for your little man. I am sure Baobao was so happy for the life he had with you being loved & cared for.

I am so sorry for your loss, but try to remember the good times you had together.

Binky free Baobao at rainbow bridge, sleep tight special fella

xxxx

so sorry you lost your bunny.we also had to have our bunny put to sleep last week as he had an incurable case of psaturella!! We felt so bad but we had tried everything we possibly could over two months and we felt it was the kindest thing to do, I am sure you did the right thing and I hope you feel better soon?!:)

I am sorry for your loss . I am not a person that copes easily with animals being ill like that , i would probably have them pts because i cant watch them suffer x

Back