• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holding rabbit

colin-java

New Kit
Hi,

I was holding rabbit like a baby, and it was on its back.
It didn't seem to mind, but do they like this? Or is it stressful for them?

Thanks

One of my bunnies loves it, she totally goes into a trance and will stay there for ages. It's great because she lets me check her teeth and cut her claws like it.
My other doesn't like it so much but still lets me do it, she just jumps up when I'm finished. If your bun likes it then it doesn't do any harm.

I was told its OK if thats what is needed to check your buns teeth etc but done for long periods of time can be very very dangerous for your bunny as it causes changes in their heart.

I may be wrong but please check first.

1 of mine this is the only way he will tolerate being held for any length of time, my other lop likes this too....Gizmo doesnt seem to like it though, maybe its a lop thing :love:

maybe its a lop thing :love:

Alfie and Bubbles aren't too keen on it, so I don't think so. :lol::lol::lol:

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I cradled mine very briefly to check their bottoms and that's it.

The trancing is a fear response and must be stressful - they will play dead if a predator has a grip on them in the hope that the predator will release its' grip enough for them to dart off. For that reason, I don't think it's fair to put my bunnies through it. I've only tried to do it to Bubbles once and she absolutely freaked when I tried to gently flip her, so I would also be worried about spinal injuries.

Hmm mine don't seem to mind at all but totally freak when I try to hold them normally. I don't believe mine are fearful of being held on their backs.

But the idea of trancing as a rabbit's defence mechanism is that they're supposed to appear calm (well, dead actually :?) so it's hard to tell whether the rabbit actually minds.

Back