• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis and spring grass link?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
We seem to see lots of cases of stasis at this time of year (or sometimes later if we have a wet summer)...and I'm wondering if there is any link to buns eating the lush new grass?

Might be way off here, but it's worth pondering :?

Oh, it could be possible. I've had no stasis, and I have no grass so the buns don't get it.

Most of my effected Buns are all indoors and seldom have fresh grass.
I guess the new cuts of hay may be richer though.

I am seriously thinking it was Spring Greens in my case. I have not fed the Buns any Veg for 3 days now and so far no more stasis cases (apart from Dermot who has a chronic condition anyway :cry:)

TBH I am now affraid of feeding Veg.......:?

I found spring greens upset Martha, mine have all been out on the grass for the last few weeks (in winter they are on the concrete runs), Milo has been ill but we think that was due to the lino eating episode:roll:

I've had it with buns who have permenant access to grass, and buns who have been indoors and not had access to grass for a week, so whilst grass may play a factor in some cases...I can't see that it was to blame in my situation :?

At the moment I am convinced its either hay or vegetables (even though the veggies I buy are supposed to be organic), so I'm only feeding (expensive) branded hay like Burgess and Oxbow and stuff rather than bagged local hay and only feeding organic carrots every other day and hoping for the best :?

I think some cases could be caused by spring suddenly arriving and bunnies that have not been out on grass all winter suddenly gorging themselves:?

Rabbits grazing time must be gradually increased if they have been kept off grass/weeds/etc for a ling time.

Likewise it is best to introduce small amounts of veg and gradually up it..if a new type of veg is bought then small to start with..likewise if spring greens have been unavailable for a time.... they must be reintroduced gradually.

When/if I have bunnies again (and I'm being put off by all these cases of stasis!!! :shock: ), I'm definitely going to start mixing the ends and beginnings of hay batches. I can't believe I never thought of that when I had my bunnies. :oops:

I'm not sure hay would be a factor unless people buy hay from overseas where seasons are different. I grew up in a rural area and the hay was never cut until end of May or beginning of June at the earliest.

I've just got a new bale of Oxbow timothy, and it's very different, so definitely a factor for overseas hay, as you say.

The only rabbits of mine that have suffered stasis was Claude but im led to belive it wasnt that now:( And Porky but Porky has never recived vet treatment for it its only lasted a couple of hours,Vinnie had something simalar last year not stasis but none of mine ever go on grass

Mine have access to grass around 10 hours a day :? But they are used to it and do eat a lot of it and not had any problems so far. Only probs i've had are Fidget doing small poos but that was due to ingesting too much of Frankie's fur :roll:

I'm not sure hay would be a factor unless people buy hay from overseas where seasons are different. I grew up in a rural area and the hay was never cut until end of May or beginning of June at the earliest.

I thought that was the case too - last week in May for the first cut so there would be no new hay available yet. Of course hay can vary considerably from bale to bale anyway.

one of the vets here is looking for a link - "wrong bacteria" getting in the caecum , producing toxins which slow down the gut.

None of mine have had a problem, except for Charlie but her was due to an underlying neurological problem. Mine get veg, hay and occasionally I cut grass for them, but I don't really get GI Stasis problems with them.

Vera

Fudge the only bun i have had in stasis hasnt eaten any grass as she doesnt like outdoors so it cant be grass for my case.
And hay is always mixed through with the last bag so it cant be hay either :?
Only thing that she has been getting that could be the problem is, like Jane, the spring greens? I stopped them and it helped but came back and now shes better so i just dont know!!!

It could be anything and i hope i dont have to go through it again :(

Back