• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Cats

Lynseypvic

Young Bun
Wasn't really sure where about to post this;)

What are peoples feeling/expereinces of rabbits and cats?

We currently have a bonded pair of rabbits who have an enclosure with a downstairs run area and an upstairs sleeping area on the patio and free run of the patio area when we are home. One of the rabbits is tamer than the other and enjoys being stroked on the head and although he will make a mad dash if he is startled, he comes in the house quite a bit if we leave the door open and has a potter around or goes behind the sofa. I know he isn't scared of any of us (even the 2yr old is super with pets) but his instincts still make him scarper if we suddenly walk in the room etc. As soon as we let them out, he will come straight in the kitchen excited about the kids getting their food ready.

We have discussed getting a cat (partly because it would hopefully be affectionate and give back more than rabbits do - sorry!) and we all love the idea but have pretty much ruled it out because of the rabbits (and gerbils!). I know you hear stories of rabbits and cats living peacefully (and there were cats at the rabbit rescue place where we our more timid rabbit)but is that just the odd lucky scenario or can almost anyone achieve this? Even if the cat did not care about the rabbits, would the rabbits be constantly nervous of the cat? What about territory?

My husband says that you often hear about people keeping cats AND rabbits, but i wonder if those rabbits get out their hutch much???

I don't think it will be the end of the world for Bobby if he isn't comfortable coming in the house anymore because of a cat as there is plenty to do outside, but I do want to be able to leave the back door open in good weather and still allow the rabbits free access to the patio area. We haven't got the space to build a decent covered run which i feel would be big enough and include enough to do and Lavender especially would not be happy with being handled to put in and out a run everyday.

Currently both rabbits can just walk out of their enclosure onto the patio when i open their door and there is lots for them to do and the kids can spend time with them and observe them closely and get a stroke in when the mood is right, which is important as the rabbits don't want to be picked up and handled. So we really don't want to put them in a covered run.

So how would the rabbits react to a cat and vice versa? The idea would be to get a young cat rather than a kitten so we can pick a cat that the centre would feel was suitable for kids but it would be hard to know how it would fit in with the rabbits.

For those of you who have rabbits and cats, is it a case of only using covered runs?

Thanks
Lynsey

If the cat is friendly I don't see a problem!
I have 3 and all of them have a strong desire to hunt, so I don't let them anywhere near my other pets.
But with the right cat I think it is do-able :)

I have two house bunnies and two cats and they just ignore each other. However, I would never leave them together unsupervised. The bunnies stay in their room when we are at work or asleep.

3 buns, 2 cats here!

Lola loves to chase the cats, they hate her, but they tolerate each other unless Lola decides she wants to nip their bum.

Lucy is very laid back with them, in time I think she will be friends with our gay boy cat Spike.

They keep their distance from each other.

iv got 7 house cats and 2 buns.
my buns have a room to run around in but the door is left open with a gate across to stop them getting out(marbles likes to chew cables)
the cats never bother to go in and basically ignore the buns unless im in the room with the buns the cats get nosey (cats probably think the rabbits are gettin treats :p) but even then they dont bother eachother.
i would always supervise and never leave them alone together :love:

4 house buns and 3 cats here. Whilst I wouldn't trust the cats with the buns when they were small, as the buns have grown up, they actually move the cats out the way. I'm not complacent though and think the cats are more than capable of doing damage if they wanted. The buns are all tucked up in their puppy pens when we go to bed for peace of mind, but have free roam when we are up.
Think it depend on the personalities of the cats to be honest, but it's been all good here.:D

I have a cat and rabbit .they love each other.Theywill run around the house together asleep together and groom each other.

But it may be in part that Delilah our cat is very strange :lol:

I think with the right cat you can make it work

I have two cats, two rabbits and a jack russel cross and they all live together fine! The rabbits are free range in the garden during the day and the cats come and go as they please. Jenny (my girl bun) LOVES the cats and will run up to them if they are in the garden sniffing them and following them around the garden etc (she does like Phoebe, the youngest cat, best though :lol:). Tilly (the eldest cat will go into their hutch and drink the water and Phoebe will go and have a sit in their hutch if it is raining or she needs a nap :lol: i have seen her and the two rabbits all asleep on the top level of the hutch.

I am not sure i would trust that cats with gerbils :lol: (i do LOVE gerbils though, aren't they the sweetest!!:love:) but with the rabbits, they are fine.

The nutty dog is fine with all 4 too!! :D

Three cats and one rabbit :wave:

Daisy bunny is obsessed with the cats - follows them around, chases them, shoves her head underneath any cat that stays still for long enough, and I think she may have decided that she is a cat :lol:

One of my cats, Squeak, is good with Daisy and they quite regularly cuddle up together - but I always keep a close eye on things just in case. My two female cats are scared of Daisy and run away from her.

I think the main thing is just to make sure you always supervise cat and bunny meetings. Although, having said that, Daisy does sometimes hop off upstairs and join the cats sleeping in the bedroom while i'm downstairs, but I always go on check on her after a while.

Daisy and Squeak, loved up:
DaisyandSqueak010-1.jpg

April13th001.jpg

i have 2 buns cat dog and snake..lol

cookie is fully grown now, i hope, and my cat really doesnt pay much attention to her atall, they get on fine, and my cats a little devil aswell :p

although lola is alot smaller at the moment so i dnt trust him around her as i dnt want him thinkin shes a toy :p

I've got 2 cats and they have always more or less ignored the rabbits. Tinkerbell (rabbit) is the annoying one to the cats! She runs in circles round them while they are eating and sometimes gets a swift paw biffing from the cats!

Back