• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue centre question - newbie here x

Oscarsmom

Warren Scout
Hi Guys

Wonder whether anyone could offer me some advice....at the moment I have a single male rabbit...he is housed in a 5x2x2 hutch outside....but has an 11ft x 5ft run...separate to the hutch but he has daily access...however Im thinking of getting him a friend as I think it would be nice to have company....

So my questions are :-

1) Is the size of Hutch and run area acceptable for x2 buns?
2) What type of friend would you recommend? - another male (neutered) a female (neutered)?
3) Do I need to get Oscar Neutered before adding either of the above?
4) If yes what sort of cost am I looking at?

thanks in advance

Not sure about the size of the hutch but perhaps check with the rescue about their requirements.

Neutered female.

Yes you would need to get him neutered and vet bills vary mine was £60.00.

I think some rescues would want the run attached to the hutch but they all vary in their requirements. Yes definately get him neutered costs vary between vets and which part of the country you are in. A neutered female would probably be easier to bond with him than a male but it does depend on the rabbit most rescues will help with bonding and advise on a suitable friend. Good luck :)

Hi Guys

Wonder whether anyone could offer me some advice....at the moment I have a single male rabbit...he is housed in a 5x2x2 hutch outside....but has an 11ft x 5ft run...separate to the hutch but he has daily access...however Im thinking of getting him a friend as I think it would be nice to have company....

So my questions are :-

1) Is the size of Hutch and run area acceptable for x2 buns?
2) What type of friend would you recommend? - another male (neutered) a female (neutered)?
3) Do I need to get Oscar Neutered before adding either of the above?
4) If yes what sort of cost am I looking at?

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The rspca does state the minimum hutch size for 2 bunnies is 6x2x2. What sort of size is your current bunny? :)

I would get a neutered female - their is more chance of them getting along. Oscar will need to be neutered before she arrives really, as bonding will be easier then :) I paid £40 for my male bun to be neutered :)

Which rescue are you looking at? I visited Underhill Rabbit Rescue today, SOAD on here runs it and she has some absolutely gorgeous bunnies waiting for homes :love::love: Dont know how i came away empty handed :lol: xXx

The nearest rescue to you would probably be FatFluffs in solihull. There are a few members on here involved so i would ask them. I'm sure one of them will be along soon :)

Our minimum requirement is 6x2x2 with a permanent run attached for two "regular" sized buns:D

Recommend that you get Oscar neutered first - try Pet Vaccination Clinic in Wythall - very reasonable prices for neutering, and then approach a rescue for a mate. I prefer male/female bondings as they are less likely to break down than single sex bondings, although there are loads of single sex pairs that do nicely.
Most rescues will do the bonding for you.

Last edited:
Thanks guys....well I had a play about with an idea I had...I have a puppy pen that im not using and have now attached this to the hutch - dont know why I didnt think of it earlier!....so now my bunnies total space is 5ftx6ft
Oscar is only quite small - I will post some photos....but yes I found fat fluffs on internet- they cant be far away at all....so I should be able to get some good advice :wave: thanks guys! xx

Does the puppy pen have a lid? just thinking if it doesn't he will soon learn to jump over it, and also there is a chance predators can get in too.

Is there no way the bigger run can be permenantly attached?

We all know how it is, esp, when starting out. Its a work in progress. Today I have added more locks and a hasp lock to completely secure the hutch and run together, Ive also added a 'rain proof cover' (Read 87p clear shower curtain from Ikea), and replaced the hinges on Charlie and Autumns hutch lid.

The puppy pen is about 4ft high - could the bun jump that high?...and will be getting a cover to go over it...:) x
At the moment I cant attach the other run as the hutch is on the patio and the run is in the garden attached with metal fence posts - but good idea...x we are having a conservatory built in a few weeks so oscar will be moving into the garden itself so I will do some diy with the garden run....Its the best part of having them I think making everything bigger and better each time you have new Ideas....:rabbit2:

As to neutering

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127568&highlight=costs+spay

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83434&highlight=costs+spay

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=112444&highlight=costs+spay - most informative about post op care too

4ft high is nothing to some bunnies.

As for the run attached, I think you should be aiming for something like this (others feel free to but in!) http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_racks/35638, so that it has a sturdy roof.

Rather than thinking about the bunny getting out, I tend to think about the fox/cat/dog getting in, everywhere needs to be proofed and locked. Just cos you have never seen a fox in your garden doesn't mean there are none around. I have an allotment about 10 minutes walk from my house, and the guys on there regularly see foxes. 10 minutes isn't really that far, so my buns are on concrete, although others put welded mesh under the turf. (it also stops bun from digging out :)

Also a gust of wind could knock the fabric ones off.

I think I would stick with your current plan (seperate hutch and run, as it sounds the safest for your bun) for the minute until the garden is sorted, and he can be set up properly and safely.

Good luck.

Also can we have some pics of the little guy?? :D

Thanks Lottielouise - I very much like the look of that run!

So here are a couple of pictures....Unfortunately I didnt have too much time to get a great shot of Oscar so heres one from my Mobile

Oscar.jpg

One thing I would like to add is that Oscar is from a pet shop - I decided to bring him home after talking to a friend of mine who is the manager of the pet shop in question - she had been telling me about him and the fact that no one wanted him due to the fact he is white and also has parts of one of his ears missing were his mum must have nibbled him and he has one ear up and one down....they said they would not try and sell him as a pair and he would remain on his own. This is why virtually as soon as I joined here I posted asking about getting a friend for him from a rescue - I knew that the chances of him having a companion was a slim one so I made the decision to do what I did...and do not feel bad about it - I would hope something that is respected on here - if not so be it.

so....now that thats out the way....here is the temp set up I have for Oscar...

set-up.jpg

I am going out later to get a covering of some kind to go over the top of the run...Im thinking of either a netting/mesh and also a waterproof covering - liked the idea of using a shower curtain. I will also be getting a snuggle safe for the hutch itself from p@h for extra protection :) I would also add that Oscar is shut up at night time, and until I have the correct covering in place is only out in the run supervised....-you can just about see him in the second piccy x
ps there are going to be lots of toys coming his way also as everything is alittle bear at the moment

hiya..beautiful bunny..i bought mine from a pet shop too..i did visit my local animal sactuaray 1st but they dont rehome small pets anymore only cats and dogs.
good luck with your bunny !
dee

Oscar is absolutely stunning! :love::love: I love the helicopter ears look :lol:

I think your set up is ok for Oscar :) Is that one of the new hutches from P@H? I f you are getting something for the top, i would get some kind of weld mesh :)

xXx

I think your set up is ok for Oscar :) Is that one of the new hutches from P@H? I f you are getting something for the top, i would get some kind of weld mesh :)

xXx

Yes its the primrose Den....I got the Hutch cover for it....which is great! Makes me feel alot happier he is all covered up safe esp at night. The covering I eventually got for the top of the run is a strong netting thats used for covering ponds etc...I had enough to cover my 11ft run in the garden too which is great...:D

Yes its the primrose Den....I got the Hutch cover for it....which is great! Makes me feel alot happier he is all covered up safe esp at night. The covering I eventually got for the top of the run is a strong netting thats used for covering ponds etc...I had enough to cover my 11ft run in the garden too which is great...:D

Ahh thought it looked familiar, it was the shelf in the bed that gave it away :lol:

Im glad you managed to find a cover :thumb: Just got to look for a bun now... :D :D

Back