• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit has swidgy poos any advice?

My rabbit has been suffering from gut problems since I had him about 2 months ago. He has had on-going trips back and forth to the vets and they think he had stasis and has been prescribed metacam and zantac. He is a fussy eater and wont eat lots of hay except for Alfafa and likes Excel dwarf pellets, he also gets a bloated tummy from now and then which I've heard Infacol is good for such tummies. He had a bloated tummy on Tuesday this week and since then his poos have been wet and swidgy and rather smelly! His appetite isn't that good and he seems a bit off colour any ideas what is causing his swidgy poos? If he's still the same on Tuesday I will have to make another return journey back to the vets. He's cost me a small fortune since I got him from the rabbit rehome centre!

Look forward to your replies
Bunnylover 167 with Frostie and Rosie

Alfafa is high in calcium so not really very good for the bunny. Excel can sometimes cause squidgy poos. Have you tried him on timothy hay which would be much better for him. What veggies are you feeding?

Agree with hurricanehoney, you need to look at his diet. Hay should be 80-90% of their daily diet.

Exel caused one of mine to have squidly poops, we have changed to Oxbow Bunny Basics T and things are a lot better.

If you are new to bunnies you may want to post what you are feeding your rabbit and people will be able to help advise you.

Please be careful of flystrike if your bunny has a sticky bum - you may want to consider treating it with Rearguard (only available from vet).

Thanks for your advice, I've tried all types of hay even from the hay experts and he won't eat any of the selection either!
He's gone off his food today so I've been syringe feeding him with science recovery but he seems off colour, just sitting by himself. My other Rabbit is the exact opposite she'll eat any hay and veg, I'm just worried about this little one.
I think that I will take him to the vets tomorrow to get him checked over
Thanks again for your advice

Bunnylover167 and Frostie

Thanks for your advice, I've tried all types of hay even from the hay experts and he won't eat any of the selection either!
He's gone off his food today so I've been syringe feeding him with science recovery but he seems off colour, just sitting by himself. My other Rabbit is the exact opposite she'll eat any hay and veg, I'm just worried about this little one.
I think that I will take him to the vets tomorrow to get him checked over
Thanks again for your advice

I have the same problem with my two. Katy will eat anything and no matter what hay I have tried Homer with he will not eat it. Oxbow is hay based so has helped him - can't recommend it enough, expensive but very good.

I have the same problem with my two. Katy will eat anything and no matter what hay I have tried Homer with he will not eat it. Oxbow is hay based so has helped him - can't recommend it enough, expensive but very good.

Frostie seems a lot better today thank goodness.Although his stomach is still very noisy and his pellets are still quite greasy and smelly. I wasn't able to see my normal rabbit savvy vet until Wednesday so I am waiting to take him then. Fingers crossed his appetite will improve. Thanks for recommending Oxbow. Are these pellets? Where can you buy them from-the Hay Experts? I suppose that I would have to introduce them very slowly. Do you have any advice how I would introduce them?

Best wishes

I order them from my vet so it saves on postage and they are there next day. They are about £13-14 for a 4.5kg bag. Expensive but worth it. You can buy a smaller pack for about £8 I think.

You should try to introduce them gradually by just mixing a few with current pellets and gradually replace them.

I must admit though that mine just ate around them and I was so desperate so we had to end up giving them just Oxbow (as Homer will not eat Hay) and they love them now. If you can do it gradually then it will be better.

If you would like me to send you a handful via post for Frostie to try just send me a PM with your address details.

Back