• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much is too much?

major stare

Young Bun
Laurie, our 9 week old female, went in her run for the first time today. She seemed to spend most of the day eating grass and her pellet food, plus water.
Back in her hutch tonight, eating straw, her pellets and drinking water.

Just seems she has spent the whole day eating.

Is this normal?

She cant eat too much as far as grass is concerned :) As long as shes used to it. You didnt mention hay? Bunnies should have unlimited hay 24/7. Straw is generally used as bedding as it has no nutritional value.

As long as she hasnt got sticky/runny poos then all should be ok :) xXx

ETA: Just seen you said it was her first time in the run. Grass should be introudced gradually as she may end up with a poorly tummy. So for the first few days, put her in the run for say 30 mins. Then gradually build it up, especially if she is constantly eating the grass as some bunnies do. Also when shes in the run she doesnt need her pellets in with her ;) Hope this helps xXx

Perfectly normal. If your bunny isn't used to grass its best not to allow her to eat to much until she gets used to it. My two are continually eating hay throughout the day with a small amount of pellets in the evening and veggies in the morning.

Sorry, i meant Hay, she has a Hay holder & straw as bedding. She does eat plenty of hay.

Her poo's are pellets and formed.

Just wanted to check she isnt over eating, or if too much grass can cause problems!:?

Sorry, i meant Hay, she has a Hay holder & straw as bedding. She does eat plenty of hay.

Her poo's are pellets and formed.

Just wanted to check she isnt over eating, or if too much grass can cause problems!:?

If she's used to the grass yes its fine. Its as good if not better than hay.

Rabbits actually need to eat constantly.
They don't have any muscles in their digestive system, so in order to keep the system running smoothly. This is one reason why they should always have hay or grass available:3

Ah, she isnt used to it. We have fed her small ammounts of grass over the last week whilst she was in her hutch.

Now concerned she could have tummy problems:(

Back