• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is this the right thing to do?

Laurapaarl

Young Bun
we have had a very large indoor french lop rabbit, he is a year old, and has been in the house since.. well since.
My mum now says that she can tput up with him and he has to be outside, I know this will be a big problem, as there will be temperature shock, lonliness (as we cannot afford another bunny and to have her neutered)
and he might not understand or cope with the outdoors very well?
Please someone give me their opinions, as I dont know wether to complain and stop what she's trying to do, or just go along with it?
Please!'?
xx
Im so sad, and want him around with me to hug and play with :cry::cry:

Hi,
If you can't afford to get another bunny I would not be putting your bunny outside as they are very sociable and needs lots of interaction. Also if your bunny has been used to being a house bun it wouldn't be fair to put her outside on her own. Could you not get a nice big run and tell your mam that on nice days you will put your bunny outside with lots of toys?/

That is exactl the things i've been saying to my mum, But she wants him to live out their permanantly, Which i think is quite cruel, although she says that him being indoors alll his life is cruel, But he doesnt know any different?
I feel so pressurised, I dont know what to do :(
But we cant get rid of him, as there are already SO many unwanted bunnys
and I love him SO much, he slike a brother XD (Yeah quite sad )
Lol
:(
x

I think you really need to persuade your mam to let you keep him inside and put him out during the day. It wouldn't be fair to put him out permanetly on his own when he's lived inside all his life.

I don't know much of anything about transitioning rabbits to outside, but I am a bit curious.

What is it specifically that your mother can't put up with? Before changing a bunny's housing situation, I would try and see if it was something I could fix.

For example, my boyfriend is driven crazy by the smell of urine and all the poos on the floor from a non-litter trained Milo.

So I got Milo neutered and will be working extensively with him on the training, and I change the litter pan often to help the smell of urine.

So maybe you could fix some things to keep your mom sane? :)

If he's very large you would have to buy a shed or playhouse for him to live in then buy a very large run, so it would be a costly thing putting him outside to live.

i have a frenchie boy who i adopted aged 18 months and he was hell to litter train even tho he was neutered..hes still alazy old thing but he does try..his bums too big to fit in even the huge tray he has..he always manages to pee over the edge! he pops where he eats and sleeps and whses..but he also poops in his trays...hes a lazy old man...he is only 4 !!

if your bun hasnt been done he will be even worse than our bertie and the smell will be obscene:shock:

maybe you coul dhelp with cleaning up after him a bit more.....white vinegar is very cheap and cleans up bunny wee amazingly and stops them going there again form the smell.

if its cos hes not fixed..is it owrth asking the vets if theyll let you pay over a month or maybe two to get him done?

frenchies are such huge cuddle monsters..if i told bertie hed have to go back live outside hed run away!! he loves the cool floor when hes hot..the radiator and bunny beds when hes cold and the love and affection form bif..but hestill insists on cuddles and hugs from us and to be played with too.

a bunny inside with humans for company most of the day and night is better for a bunny than to behousedoutside with no other bun and more limited time with humans......than they had inside:(

can you not sit down with your mum and sensibly discuss why and what other options you have?

My mum says she cant cope with him 'invading' the human household
But in all honesty, He is possibly the BEST example of a houserabbit You can get, he has not been neutered, but he is still calm, relaxed and moderatly well behaved, he only occasionally chews the chairs (which are made of straw to be fair!!!!) and he NEVER pees on the carpet, ONLY in his tray, he only occasionally does a few dry poops on the carpets when hes asleep, But they are dry and dont even smell, and I clean them straight away.
she doesnt realise how lucky we are to have such a rabbit to be honest, an un-neutered buck that doesnt hump Anything, pee or bite, and sits there happy as can be in the daytime!
She has never had a rabbit, and thinks that he should be perfect, by not doing three poops on the carpet every few days, she just doesnt know how lucky we are!
and I am responsible with him as well, I'm 15, and he is cared for and cleaned after properly!!

(Sorry for the long post, but this whole thing has been stressing me out ever so much, it's been getting to me :(
xx thank you for so many replies!!
xxxxxxxx

That is exactly what i Plan to do
If she doesnt budge, i just dont know what im going to do?
Im too strong willed to give up, but at the end of the day, shes in control, and im only fifteen, i have no say if she wants to force me away from my little buddy
(as she has said she will get rid of him if I dont budge either.)
x

Awww I really feel for you :cry: I have to say I would only consider putting your bunny outside if the set up suited his needs & he had a friend to live with. I'll be honest putting a bunny outside to live on his own, without company I feel is cruel - bunnies are sociable animals & need company - whether that be human or bunny company. I really hope you can win your mum round, as I sadly I think it will depress your wee fella to be outside on his own

Back