• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you agree with mating straight after a litter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the main answer would be "I don't agree with mating"
But surely the stain of two pregancies would be bad for her anyway?

No I would wait a good month or so the mother would probs still be very stressed out after losing her babies and will need time to recover from giving birth to them!

No.
But as Steph says, no to mating anyway.
But I would have thought thorough investigation should be done as to why the first litter didnt survive, and then a break for mumbun to get her strength back after being preggars. And also serious consideration into whether mum bun is up to being a mummy, depending upon the reasons why the litter died.:?

I wouldn't want to be got pregnant straight after giving birth so am sure it must be the same for a poor doe, so no.

no, not through choice. My doe had two litters close together (although the first litter survived) but she was quite stressed but the end of raising the second litter.

np, partly for the mums sake as it is still a big effort to carry kits and she needs a break (if you agree with breeding in the first place) but I would also be concerned about why the kits did not survive in the first place. It may be that she is not a good mum or that she or the buck either do not have compatible genes or one of them carries a genetic flaw that lead to the loss of kits. I would not be rushing back into a mating.

Generally i'd say no to mating at all but it depends on how soon you are talking. If its anyshorter than the rabbit's natural interbirth interval then you are going to cause the doe undue stress which IMO is cruelty.

The reason the OP asked as it was on another forum, a breeder mated up a doe who is meant to be retired, and a buck who was meant to be infertile due to genital injury, resulting in 3 bubs which apparently have died on Thursday so she has mated her back up today :shock:

[admin edit: please don't copy content from other sites - thanks :) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's strange that they can reabsorb foetuses if they are not ready to have babies, but can't cope with the surplus of milk. I thought once there is no more demand for milk, then the production will go back, too. In humans the milk just starts to leak out if there is no baby to drink it. Do they mean that during a new pregnancy the fat in the milk will be used to give the doe energy, by going back into the body somehow, or how is it supposed to work?:?

It's strange that they can reabsorb foetuses if they are not ready to have babies, but can't cope with the surplus of milk. I thought once there is no more demand for milk, then the production will go back, too. In humans the milk just starts to leak out if there is no baby to drink it. Do they mean that during a new pregnancy the fat in the milk will be used to give the doe energy, by going back into the body somehow, or how is it supposed to work?:?

I have no idea, i have not commented on the thread, as i do not agree but would end up being slated one way or another for it:roll:

Personally, i think it is excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back