• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flea treatment/worming

Rachie

Mama Doe
I went to the vets yesterday to take Ebs in for her VHD jab (Olly came too) and I wanted some advice on preventing flystrike and rear guard while I was there but then while I was having 'the talk' with a pet health (?sales?) advisor, he mentioned worming and anti-flea treatment.

I'm completely mortified that I didn't have a clue about worming them or using flea treatment. I feel so ashamed that I didn't have a notion to even consider doing it and that I was so ignorant to the fact that its something that is required. :shock::shock:

I'd be really grateful if I could have some advice. I'm a tad dubious about worming them and flea treating them at the same time - is it okay or will I be overloading them with chemicals/treatment? :oops:

Is flea treatment really necessary? They don't have fleas and I'm ignorant enough to think that they won't get them as they don't come into contact with any other animals. :shock:

How often should I be worming them? How do I worm them? I have some panacur in a syringe but whats the best way to get it into their mouths?

I sound like a complete idiot, i can't believe I've managed to elude something so apparently obvious for so long :roll:

I believe it is recommended to Panacur 4 times a year, for 9 days. We found that both of ours were happy to eat the paste, its only a little bit, on a piece of their usual veg, we just gave that piece first, waited for it to be eaten and then gave the rest of breakfast.

Sorry I can't help with flea treatment as I too have never used it. Assumed I didn't need to unless I saw some evidence of fleas.

I have never bothered with flea treatment but I know people do if they live in a high risk area of myxi as it can be a way of preventing it. But I worm my two with panacur paste about 3 times a year. Dont worry the worming thing is a farirly new thing to me to!:lol: x

Hi
I assumed my two wouldn't get fleas either - no contact with other animals, no grass as garden is paved, kept clean etc. However I found a flea on Olive at Easter! Panic! Treated them with Ivermectin and just done them again today. I came on here to look for advice as Olive licks the stuff off herself and is intent on licking it all off Grace too - she thinks Grace is mucky I presume and is just helping out. I'm surprised she doesn't die of Ivermectin poisoning. I believe there is an injection they can have instead. Does anyone know about this or have I dreamt it?
Pam

I dont think you need to routinely treat for fleas....Just when they catch them i think!
Also everyone thinks differently about worming, some worm 4 times a year, 2 times, once or not at all!

My bunnies have been wormed for 9days in January and i dont know if i want to treat again as if treated too often it can become less effective against EC (correct me if im wrong)

Dont quote me on that as im not 100% sure:wave:

I dont think you need to routinely treat for fleas....Just when they catch them i think!
Also everyone thinks differently about worming, some worm 4 times a year, 2 times, once or not at all!

My bunnies have been wormed for 9days in January and i dont know if i want to treat again as if treated too often it can become less effective against EC (correct me if im wrong)

Dont quote me on that as im not 100% sure:wave:

This is what I believe to be recommended as well.
only treat for fleas when they catch them,6 weeks panacur if symptomatic
28 days if in contact with EC
9 day course is ineffective for ec but used for worming rabbits,therefore no routine 9 days due to risk of fenbendazole resistance

someone will let us know if this is right

We use Panacur twice a year as a wormer and EC preventative.

We put the syringe in the space between their front and molar teeth.

Its perfect for meds and all

We use Panacur twice a year as a wormer and EC preventative.

We put the syringe in the space between their front and molar teeth.

Its perfect for meds and all

9 days wont prevent EC apparently.The findings I gave were mentioned at a recent RWA conference.I used to regularly panacur but not now.I'm sure I've read that fenbendazole can affect bone marrow.
The little space between the teeth-the diastema is just made for syringes!!!:D

Back