• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treating a myxi wildie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not the most sensible thing we have done by far but this week we had a myxi wildie in. I treated her on the night she came in and made her comfortable in a warm quarantine room not expecting her to survive the night. She did, and now I feel I have to give her the best chance I can. We are now on day 4 and this morning I feel a glimmer of hope for this gorgeous little girl. After lots of eye flushes, antibiotics, flea treatment and syringe feeding I saw her eyes for the first time as the swelling started to reduce around her eyes. She adores warm Science Recovery and bites the syringe for more. She is a little fighter if nothing else.

Agreed, we are a rescue and it is a huge risk with some of our buns not yet vaccinated but I use a seperate bathroom for medication, change clothes when I go into her room and disinfect myself when I come out. That is all I can do and yes I am apprehensive about the whole situation and I have pondered and pondered about who else might take her on and come to the conclusion that noone else will so that's that.

We need lots of vibes.

Myxirabbit.jpg

Poor little girl :cry: wishing you all the best with her care and hope that your efforts will keep your other bunnies safe too :(

:shock::cry: Oh the poor thing! I hate seeing bunnies with myxi.
I rescued a wild myxi bunny before, but i couldn't take it home because of my buns, so i took it to my cousins house and we called a rescue to take it. I'm guessing it was pts, but better than suffering for days.

Good luck with this bun, its heartbreaking trying to save myxi buns! :cry:
They often start getting better then suddenly go down hill.

Millions of vibes!!!! xxx

Poor bun:( Just my opinion but i think you might be better having her pts:( I nursed an unvaccinated rabbit for 4 weeks with myxi he then ended up loosing his battle ive never forgiven myself he wasnt pts sooner

I have to admit I'm of the same opinion as bluebunny and have always sworn I would have an unvax'd bunny with Myx PTS (and I really hope I could do it if God forbid it ever happened) :( but obviously you are the one caring for her and it's you & your vets decision to make.

For what it's worth good luck and I hope your other buns will be OK.

Poor bun:( Just my opinion but i think you might be better having her pts:( I nursed an unvaccinated rabbit for 4 weeks with myxi he then ended up loosing his battle ive never forgiven myself he wasnt pts sooner

I am affraid I agree :cry:

I am sorry but I think your heart is ruling your head here.
Especially with unvaccinated Rabbits on site

Please forgive my bluntness, I just find the situation very hard to understand.

:cry:

I am affraid I agree :cry:

I am sorry but I think your heart is ruling your head here.
Especially with unvaccinated Rabbits on site

Please forgive my bluntness, I just find the situation very hard to understand.

:cry:

Its true your heart does rule your head:( Especially with William he was my pet and i loved him,I wanted him to get better and so many people thought i was being cruel:( It truely broke my heart when he was pts as i felt at that point i should of done it sooner

I've had 3 myxi buns, Poppy, Lily and Bernie.

Poppy was a baby, unvaccinated. We spent a week nursing her, she started to recover, then a swelling in her throat caused her to start choking to death. We rushed her straight to the vets and they said nothing could be done and she was pts.

Lily had just recovered from a big tumour removal operation. She got myxi and again we spent a week nursing her, she kept eating until the evening of the 7th day, then she suddenly became really ill, my mum thinks her heart gave out. I was there when she passed, i could barely remember the bouncy bunny she was before myxi destroyed her.

Then when baby Bernie caught myxi we rushed her to the vets to be pts. And thank god the rest of the litter didnt catch it.

I hate myxi so much :evil::cry:

I think it is a big risk having an unvaccinated bunny with myxi when you have other bunnies that aren't vaccinated. Thankfully with the 3 myxi cases we've had no other buns caught it from them.

This must be difficult for you, i think in the same position i wouldn't know what to do for the best.

Beth has had success with nursing myxi buns back to health before, I remember she was caring for one when I adopted Milo and I had to wait for the quarantine to lift, before he could come to me. (This was about 2 years ago).

Sending lots of vibes to you Beth, hope all the other buns remain safe.

Last edited:
Very tricky situation - if you are really going to do this, I would suggest that you shouldn't admit any more rabbits or allow any bun in for bonding for the duration, which is going to be tricky for a rescue! Ideally where there is known active disease I wouldn't let any go either, you don't know if they could be incubating it and then you'd be responsible for passing myxo onto another home :? Even those that are vaccinated are at risk from being in such close proximity, as the myxo vaccine isn't actually made from myxo so relies on 'cross immunity'. It's not really even to do with washing hands and changing clothes, as all it takes is a gnat to pass through and it could be passed on to the whole lot :?

I'm afraid I think the kindest and most responsible thing to do all round - for the sake of all the buns there and for this one for whom the prognosis is poor in any case - is to have the little one pts :(

I think it is lovely that you have it in your heart to do this, but I would be very worried indeed about the unvaccinated buns in your care - especially as Santa says, all it would take is a gnat!

However, best of luck, I didn't think you could save an unvaccinated bunny from myxi but if you have had success before that's really something.

Good luck with the nursing. You are obviously very brave but i do agree with the others that maybe the kindest thing to do is PTS.

I'm probably going to get attacked for this but i don't think wildies with Myxi should be treated. If they are found and want to PTS that's fine but treating illness in wild animals hinders natural selection and is bad for their evolution. If he/she is treated and release back his/her offspring may inherit her susceptibility.

If i was in your situation though i have to admit i'd want to do the same but i wouldn't risk my buns as selfish as that sounds.

Hope he/she is free from pain soon whether she recovers or is PTS. Poor thing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back