• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which is the healtiest breed of rabbit?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I know that rexes have problem with sore hocks, lops with teeth, but is there a breed of rabbit that is healtier than the rest?

i think that is depends on each rabbit...
My rex didnt have sorre hocks but over ate :oops:
Toffee hasnt got anything wrong with him so far.. apart from he had worms when we got him and had his eye removed,
and the girls havent had anything wrong with them either.. yet...

i think its just the rabbit... and not the breed... but i could be wrong :)

These days there is that much interbreeding going on by the backstreet breeders that don't bother whether arabbit has dental problems pasturella or anything else, all breeds of rabbits can inherit all sorts of things so I would say that not one breed is more healthier than the other.

I'd say like more breeds of animals, mongrels are the healthiest as most breeds, there is a lot of interbreeding.

I think extreme breeds like giants, English lops, rexes, Nethies and Angoras are more prone to specific health problems. REWs can have bad eyesight and hearing. I haven't heard too many bad things about Dutch bunnies, they are a sensible size, and their face is not as squashed as some of the lops' and Nethies'. The shorter the face, the more likely they are to get dental problems. But that doesn't mean that a bunny with a longer face won't ever get dental problems. There are so many factors that play a role in the health of a pet bunny.

personally (and this is just a personal not factual opinion) i find that rabbits that are the most 'true' to their ancestors by looks, i.e both Jelly and Pebbles are uppy eared,etc are the ones with the least ammount of problems.

i find the breeds which have been 'created' and 'developed' suffer more as you are messing with whats natural

personally (and this is just a personal not factual opinion) i find that rabbits that are the most 'true' to their ancestors by looks, i.e both Jelly and Pebbles are uppy eared,etc are the ones with the least ammount of problems.

i find the breeds which have been 'created' and 'developed' suffer more as you are messing with whats natural

I agree with this too. I think every rabbit is equally prone to normal rabbit issues, but it's just an added hurt when a characteristic developed from breeding gives the rabbit a hard time. My little holland lop always has a wet nose and sneezes every few days with no discharge and also has discharge from her eyes everyday because of his short face.

On the other hand, my nethie/lionhead is very high strung, and stress can hurt a rabbit in so many ways. So in that case, the temperament of the rabbit can also affect things, I think.

Back