• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fibreplex - US Version -- U/D Help with blockages?

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Eddison is going through a major shed at the moment, and he absolutely hates being brushed. I pet him with a damp hand, but not only does he dislike that as well, but the fur that's coming out the most is an undercoat, as he's a lionhead.

I wanted to give him some Fibreplex to help him through the molt, but I had a few questions:

1) What is the equivalent in the US?
2) Do I need a prescription or is it over-the-counter?
3) How often is it given? (Eddison is .9kg)

Also, I have what I think is a normal probiotic. Would that do him any good by just getting some good bacteria to help his gut, or is it just a fiber benefit?

His poos are all coming out attached to one another with fur.

How often do you brush your rabbits during a major shedding process?

Thanks! :)

(P.S. Sorry for my spelling of fiber. I also enjoy color, favorite, center, and theater as part of my ignorant American educating! :lol:)

Last edited:
Fibreplex is probiotic plus fibre. Straight probiotic could still be of benefit if you have it to hand. The dose depends on the brand but should be on the packet :)

Sorry to bump this again.

I spoke to a couple vets in my area, as my vet is out of town until Thursday. They have no idea what Fibreplex is or any kind of US equivalent of a high fiber probiotic.

My combing isn't enough, and his molt is taking a long time. He still eats plenty of hay and has a great appetite, but I see him straining to poo.

I would like to give papaya tablets to maybe help. Are these safe to use?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100165&id=prod2828#nutrition

Also, how often should I give them to him?

Thanks!

Im having the same problem with my boy!
I had to go last night and buy some fresh pineapple.

I think that the papaya tablets are ok, ive read about similar ones on here, you would have to check tho', they have the same enzymes as fresh pineapple.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help but I was looking at a uk site that sells papaya tabs for bunnies, you could have a look at them at www.vetuk.co.uk to make a comparison. It says to give 1 or 2 a day of that one.

Sorry can't help with a Fibreplex alternative in the U.S. How about asking somewhere like the House Rabbit Association, their American aren't they?

I think as well as fibre its important to keep them well hydrated during a moult /shed (we use those to keep our lawnmowers in in the U.K.:lol:)

Really don't beat yourself up about the spelling errors we're just pleased we found am American with a sense of humour:lol::lol: You know I'm just joking with you right:?

Hi, I use the Oxbow as they do not have sugar added.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=134

I tend to brush at least twice a day during a moult, try to get the fluid intake up by making water tepid (they have water in a bowl anyway).

You could give some pineapple for now to. I tend to just squeeze the pineapple into a glass and then syringe it to them - they love it. You just have to be careful not to give too much due to the sugar.

If hes a house rabbit and doesn't need his coat, have you thought about clipping some of it off (carefully).

I don't know if this will help but I was looking at a uk site that sells papaya tabs for bunnies, you could have a look at them at www.vetuk.co.uk to make a comparison. It says to give 1 or 2 a day of that one.

Sorry can't help with a Fibreplex alternative in the U.S. How about asking somewhere like the House Rabbit Association, their American aren't they?

I think as well as fibre its important to keep them well hydrated during a moult /shed (we use those to keep our lawnmowers in in the U.K.:lol:)

Really don't beat yourself up about the spelling errors we're just pleased we found am American with a sense of humour:lol::lol: You know I'm just joking with you right:?

The House Rabbit Society here is not the best. Last time I spoke to the woman in this area who is in charge of a rescue insulted my rabbit, and kept trying to rush me out the door. I asked if she had a female to bond Eddison with, and she pointed me towards a really aggressive female that lunges and bites. Considering how submissive Eddison is, I'm sure he'd just cry.

And I just find it amusing that the British spelling of words is underlined in a red sguiggle on my computer. :lol:

Hi, I use the Oxbow as they do not have sugar added.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=134

I tend to brush at least twice a day during a moult, try to get the fluid intake up by making water tepid (they have water in a bowl anyway).

You could give some pineapple for now to. I tend to just squeeze the pineapple into a glass and then syringe it to them - they love it. You just have to be careful not to give too much due to the sugar.

What do you mean by making the water tepid? My buns both have bowls, and the water doesn't really stay cold for long anyways. :)

I try to brush Eddison twice, but he gets very frustrated. He's been molting for about a week now, and he doesn't even look halfway done, poor guy!

And I've thought of pineapple too, but I am a bit weary with the sugar content. Have you ever had any trouble using it?

If hes a house rabbit and doesn't need his coat, have you thought about clipping some of it off (carefully).

I had never even thought of this! He is a house rabbit, but since he won't stay still for brushing, I'm a little scared to use scissors around him. But it might be helpful to try and clip off a few of the major sections.

Thanks!

I've not really had any issues with moulting rabbits (even lionhead), there is an interesting article here on 'hairballs' in rabbits: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=484&S=5&SourceID=43

As long as the poops are be produced then his gut is still working.

What type of comb are you using, you could try an undercoat rack (sold for cats) that might thin his fur out.

Also hydration is important so make sure there is plenty of water (a bowl encourages drinking) and you could add a small splash of unsweetened apple juice to his water (in the short term) to increase water consumption.

And I've thought of pineapple too, but I am a bit weary with the sugar content. Have you ever had any trouble using it?

I have got two fluffy lionheads and swear by a little fresh pineapple. I only give it to them when they're moulting and not more than once a day to be sure they aren't getting too much sugar. It seems to really help.

I've not really had any issues with moulting rabbits (even lionhead), there is an interesting article here on 'hairballs' in rabbits: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=484&S=5&SourceID=43

As long as the poops are be produced then his gut is still working.

What type of comb are you using, you could try an undercoat rack (sold for cats) that might thin his fur out.

Also hydration is important so make sure there is plenty of water (a bowl encourages drinking) and you could add a small splash of unsweetened apple juice to his water (in the short term) to increase water consumption.

I am using a flea comb, and it really works well to get his "undercoat" out so to speak. He looks fawn colored, but underneath his orangey coat is a white fluffy layer of fur, and that seems to be the culprit.

I'll try sweetening up his water. He's really going to love molting! :lol:

I add a dash of boiling water to make it room temperature, they seem to like it like that. I only give the pineapple once a week during a moult now that I have the Oxbow tablets.

Hello, I have two lionheads, one long haired who is moulting at the moment, Fibreplex is an excellent tool to have close by if your rabbit experiences runny poos but it is the roughage you really need at the moment to carry the ingested fur out.

My advice would be to try the following;

Treat-ums Hairball Remedy, rabbits love their taste, give 2 per day as a preventative and 4 per day as a remedy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NUTRI-CARE-TR...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Give your rabbit some hay cookies, this encourages the intake of hay and are fun for your rabbit to dig and break up and chew, also good for their teeth.

If you are worried about your pets health as intestinal problems are a serious danger for rabbits you can take your pet to the vets and ask for it to be shaved, they should do this for a small fee and is often a route people go down when first inheriting a poorly looked after rabbit with matted fur.

I hope this helps, remember to hoover out the hutch thoroughly to keep loose fur to a mimimum.

xxx

hi.......its nice to see you have a great sense of humour:lol:

i know you guys have benebac gel over there..not fibrefilled like fibreplex but at least its a good probiotic and an easier way to get it into the buns.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=4157

Haha I'm surprised you know of Benebac! That's exactly what I have at home, and I've been giving him a gram a day to help his tummy. He absolutely loves the stuff.

I actually learned a lot from benebac, because my vet taught me how to syringe feed it to him, so I would cover his eyes with my hand and peel back a bit of his cheek and feed him. He absolutely hated that, and he would spit a lot of it out. Turns out, a gram is quite a bit to swallow for a bun, and I had no idea so much was going in his mouth. :( I also had no idea he would just eat it off the syringe! Ever since I figured that out, he has absolutely loved the stuff and comes running over when he smells it. He even chews on the syringe wanting more. :shock:

well before we had fibreplex here i read a bit about benebac:lol:

im glad hes loving it..bertie too thinks fibreplex is a treat...so did willow when she was alive...they stole a tube and chewed it all up between them one night:lol:

Back