• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok to be specific about breeds when adopting?

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Ok so I've been looking around at prospective husbbuns for Gwen and I'd really love to be able to bond her with a French lop or another Lionhead.
Is it ok to be thinking along these lines or should I forget looking at breeds and look at temprements?
My friend sent me a link to some gorgeous Frenchies quite near to be in lincolnshire but when I checked it out it was a breeder and you guys have made me see that no matter how cute those babies look its better to rehome than have a kit.
Plus dont think Gwen who is very much a chilled and sedate lady would appreciate a lively baby bouncing around!

I think its ok to have somthing in mind, but don't close your mind to just one type when you go, Are you taking Gwen with you when you go to get her friend?

Shes recovering from her spay at the moment but I'm hoping to find somewhere close -ish to Notts that will help with the bonding my local RSPCA doesnt do it.

I asked this question before and I think Gwen is maybe pretty big for a lionhead (She weighs over 2.5kg if that means anything to you:) ) I was told they would be fine but I'm no bunny expert so if a frenchie is an unsuitable match for Gwen then I certainly wouldnt look into getting one.

I asked this question before and I think Gwen is maybe pretty big for a lionhead (She weighs over 2.5kg if that means anything to you:) ) I was told they would be fine but I'm no bunny expert so if a frenchie is an unsuitable match for Gwen then I certainly wouldnt look into getting one.

That's a little more than my boy, but only 0.25kgs.
I know Janak's boy Georgie weights over 6kgs :?

That's a little more than my boy, but only 0.25kgs.
I know Janak's boy Georgie weights over 6kgs :?

Hmmm so maybe I need to do a little more research:oops:
I do love the look of frenchies though they're so irresistibly cute:love:
but I dont want my Gwennie Girl squashed!!!!!!

Hmmm so maybe I need to do a little more research:oops:
I do love the look of frenchies though they're so irresistibly cute:love:
but I dont want my Gwennie Girl squashed!!!!!!

I know, I'm desperate for a giant or three ;)
They are absolutely stunning!

just to say we have a Honeybunny member in Notts who I'm sure would help with bonding:D
We also have some lovely lads..but not Frenchies or lionheads
Have you seen Blue?:love:
blue.jpg

Of course you can have a breed in mind... it's your new bunny... you get to pick. I imagine quite a few people have breeds they prefer or don't prefer. I know some people love lops where as others think a bunny should have natural upright ears.

You're right to be thinking about personality too though, there is no point having a gorgeous looking bunny that doesn't fit in with you or Gwen.

Of course the more fussy you are the more patient you'll need to be :) It's not uncommon to end up falling for a bunny you don't expect either :lol:

:shock: My lionhead/nethie cross is only .9kg! That sounds like a very big lionhead to me. I think Eddison would pee his proverbial pants! :lol:

I think it's fine to have a breed in mind, that way you can help narrow down your search, but definitely keep your mind open to all possibilities. Probably good to match size as best you can, but I've heard of some strange, yet beautiful bunny relationships. :love:

just to say we have a Honeybunny member in Notts who I'm sure would help with bonding:D
We also have some lovely lads..but not Frenchies or lionheads
Have you seen Blue?:love:
blue.jpg

:love: Oh My :love:
He is a beautiful boy isnt he. What is he like temprement wise I'm very aware that with two young children a skittish bunny might not be the best of choice. Though of course they only spend time with Gwen under supervision.

The only thing I would suggest about being picky with breed is that it may take longer to find your perfect bunny and even longer if Gwen's idea of a perfect man isn't quite the same as yours.

As long as you are prepared to wait I don't see what the problem is with wanting a specific or shortlisted breed.

Hope you find the perfect husbun for Gwen.:wave:

hmmmmm
Where is he based and how long has he been there ie is he likely to be wisked off anytime soon?
Gwen is only in a double layer 5x2x2 hutch at the mo which has been fine as a stop gap as she was inside free range all over the winter and now is in a 6x4x3 run during the day but this is obviously NOT anywhere near suitable for two. We have got a 6x4 shed on order which we're going to attatch to the run but B&Q seem to be taking forever!!!!!!

You could say I was picky as I have only ever adopted Giant breeds from rescues and I have a rescue:oops:

I took 2 of my rabbits on without even seeing them and was planning it being that way with Sally as well as I originally said as long as the get on a bunny is a bunny to me :love:. However I looked on the fatfluffs website and fell in love with Sally :oops:. And as much as it felt wrong asking for a certain bunny I just had to have her (or her gorgeous sister) :love: :love:

Most people have a certain type of rabbit in mind, there's nothing wrong with that. I would never adopt certain breeds for various reasons, including that I don't like the looks of them.
I have 5 bunnies now, none of them are what I originally had in mind, but I fell in love with their photos or their characters, and one of them was advertised without a photo, so I decided to help, and fell in love when I eventually saw him.
Go to your local rescues and meet all the bunnies there, maybe you wil bond with one of them.:D And Blue is really gorgeous, Gwen would be silly to not like him. :D

Back