• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feeding Advice Please

Chrisy1977

New Kit
My rabbit - Lulu is getting better after having a very dirty bum problem. I stopped all unnecessary treats etc and changed her pellets to Science Selective as suugested by members of this forum - thank you ladies.

Anyway now that she is better, she has lost weight due to the stict diet so I am at present trying to build her up again. The thing is I give her pellets in the morning and again at night and also hay every day. Also been giving her multi-vitamins in her water, which seems to be giving her her appetite back.

I would like to give her healthy vegetables etc in the morning and pellets only at night. The problem is I am not sure what vegetables are suitable. I would also like to give her a treat once a week, but again not sure what. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, by me and Lulu I'm sure. Thanks.

I just have a couple questions for you before I give any suggestions.

How much does your rabbit weight now?
What breed is your rabbit?
How old is your rabbit?

Veggies must be introduced slowly if a rabbit hasn't had them before. I can give you a list of safe veggies for bunnies, but as far as telling about quantity, it depends on the size of the rabbit!

There's a couple ways you can tell if your rabbit night be overweight/underweight. If you can feel the spine easily without pressing down, your rabbit is too thin. If when you push down a little you feel it, your rabbit is fine. If you can't feel the spine well even when pressing down, your rabbit is probably overweight.

Also, the chest shouldn't "balloon" outwards. It should drop straight back towards the stomach. So there's another indicator.

I'll be happy to help with a little more info! :)

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your questions, I've been having a bit of personal trouble. Anwyay Lulu is a Drawf-lopp eared rabbit, she is approximately a year and a half. Not sure of her weight. I will have to weigh her. I just know she was a lot bigger before. She had a problem with soft poo sticking to her bottom and I changed her food and cut out all unnecessary treats, which included various vegetables. She now gets pellets, although not as much and plenty of hay as well as a carrot every couple of days. She doesn't always clear her pellet bowl so I know she's not starved and I always ensure she has fresh hay daily.
I would just like to vary her diet, but I used to give her Kale which she loved and when I started giving her a small handful each morning I realised that she started pooing a lot more and her hutch got a lot dirtier a lot quicker so I stopped it. It has made me wonder what vegetables are okay for rabbits. I would really like to hear from experienced owners as to what diet they stick to with their rabbits. Do you all vary their diets or stick to the same thing constantly? What about treats?
Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hiya :)

If you are going to feed treats, try something like Fenugreek crunchies,

http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_55&products_id=213

You can give say 1 or 2 of these daily without any harm. All my bunnies get 1 or 2 of these daily, or sometimes i give them 3 or 4 carrotys,

http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_55&products_id=216

They are the only 2 'treats' i feed. You could always try the pots of herbs from the supermarket, i think theyre about £1.19 and you can pick them when needed. Bunnies love herbs, mint, parsley, corriander, dill :)

If shes not used to veg i wouldnt give anything in large amounts, so like just a 50p piece sized piece of veg would be fine. Only introduce one at a time. My bunnies get 5 different veggies a day, all cut up in a bowl, obviouslt theyre all used to it though :) Its probably best you start with herbs, or cauliflour leaves, spring greens or savoy cabbage :) Remember, tiny amounts. if you notice sticky bum again, go back to just pellets :) xXx

Back